Suji profiles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
I am looking to make a few sujihiki's but am a little unsure of the profile. I took the pattern off from a Masamoto that Salty has, he called it his "holy grail" suji. WOuld that be a good foundation to start from? I dont want to straight up copy anyone, just would like a few pointers about basic edge profile. Is there a flat at the heel? Also, i plan on doing a convex grind, should this be blended smooth?

Thanks guys
Mike

A suji doesn't need a blended convex face but it does need to not be flat to be special. I think you have to decide if you are making something that is strictly a slicer or can be pressed into general duty. The former can be a relatively heavy knife that "does the work for you" and should have some significant curvature to it. The latter, if a flatter profile and thinner, esp at the tip. Masamoto makes a nice one that is somewhere in between, I think. It's a bit flat to really maximize the slicing length.

I think the one i took the pattern from was a pretty flat profile. It will be a slicer, i will make the next one to be a suji/general use knife. Thanks for the response Tinh.

I too am interested in this. I am in line for a Devin custom damascus suji and I have yet to send him specs. If anyone is willing to post some measurements, I would be thankful so I can start drawings and tinkering with cutouts.

k.

Mike

I am far from an expert but im getting confused by the thickness issue.

I have a great yanagiba that is very thick but is a fantastic slicer, why is thinness confused with slicing ability ?

Alan

I am not making it super thin, it will stay at around .100 at the spine. I am curious about the grind and edge profile on it. I think a slight blended convex is what i am after, but am unsure about it. I should have mic'd Salty's Masamoto lol. I was thinking a flat grind with a convex edge but the more i think about it, i am thinking a partial grind with a convex blend. I have a Delbert damascus gyuto and it is a meat slicing machine, that is all i have to base on....When i get money again...Not likely with a new baby coming in 6 weeks, i will invest in some japanese knives to research these thoughts on....Until then...I will test and test until i am happy...Maybe it will be a passaround.

...a slight blended convex...a partial grind with a convex blend...
These wil work better than the flat. Meat slicing is the one thing flat grinds don't do terribly at, imo.

Back