Media Salmon with Mioroshi

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThEoRy

Founding Member
Reaction score
Training myself to cut fish in the Eastern style. Getting better but I can't do it blindfolded yet.

[video=youtube;Jhsj1d9SGwM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jhsj1d9SGwM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Enjoy.

I like the dementions your using there but I don't know your hand size or knife size, What ya using there :)

Excellent vid, thanks. Looks like your mioroshi is working out pretty good for you.

Nice vid! But why are you removing the grey section of the filet just inside the skin (I'm sure it has specific name...)? When I make skin on salmon this is some of my favorite parts of the fish! Is it just for presentation?

When I was working in the Bay Area and doing the same kind of fillets, the dark section would be the only thing left on the plate 9 time out of 10. So I always thinned that part down if to thick.

Nice vid! But why are you removing the grey section of the filet just inside the skin (I'm sure it has specific name...)? When I make skin on salmon this is some of my favorite parts of the fish! Is it just for presentation?

Presentation for color yes but also a few other reasons. I don't like the texture, I feel it's pasty or chalky on farm raised salmon. Also it's where you'll find the more fishy odor that some find offensive especially on salmon. I leave it on with skin on presentations like wild king salmon, red snapper and wild striped bass. But any time the skin comes off, ahi tuna, grouper etc, I like to remove it.

OOOO perdy. I'd been waiting for this ever since I saw the first video of this knife.

I do also like the salmon skin and grey, fatty layer, but I realize that I'm probably in the minority. How where the fillets prepared?

EDIT: oh, didnt see your above post (page wasnt refreshed). That's an interesting observation about the farm-raised stuff. I'd always avoided it for other reasons (higher mercury levels) but that's good to know.

I like the grey layer, too. Plus, I was saddened to see the head get ditched - there's a lot of good meat in and around the head. So... with that, I think I'm in an even smaller minority than you, Justin :D

1st filet you looked like a pro, 2nd one still giving you trouble? I'd flip the fish over bone side down befor starting to cut the 2nd side.
Also with the skin. I dont know the " true japanese way" of doing it but knowing they like to broil the skin for "salmon skin rolls" I'd think they would try and remove it in one piece? The very fatty dark part is left on the skin when you cook it this way. Every place I have worked we :
1. Descale the fish.
2. Rub the fish down with salt
3. Squeegee the salt off with a sharp knife to get the black oils out.
4. Filet the fish
5. Portion The fish
6. Cut skin and fat off

Mmm... yes, the dark fatty muscle with the skin is a big part of what makes broiled salmon skin nice. Doesn't have to be there - the crisp skin on its own is good too - but it is of course extra flavorful with the fatty tissue along with it.

1st filet you looked like a pro, 2nd one still giving you trouble? I'd flip the fish over bone side down befor starting to cut the 2nd side.
Also with the skin. I dont know the " true japanese way" of doing it but knowing they like to broil the skin for "salmon skin rolls" I'd think they would try and remove it in one piece? The very fatty dark part is left on the skin when you cook it this way. Every place I have worked we :
1. Descale the fish.
4. Filet the fish
5. Portion The fish
6. Cut skin and fat off

That's interesting that you cut the skin and fat off after the portioning. :dontknow:

1. Descale the fish.
4. Filet the fish
5. Portion The fish
6. Cut skin and fat off

Yes, I have no problem flipping the fish over and removing the second filet.

[video=youtube;DVTcQhjC850]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVTcQhjC850[/video]

For me that is the traditional way and how I was taught and how I've done it a million times. However I'm still practicing the way shown here. What I find is there is a lot less meat left on the bone this way for me anyway. As shown by comparison in the vids. Hopefully I'll have it down pat next season.

Back