Quantcast
Rice for paella..... - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rice for paella.....

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    arborio would be awful, too chalky. use short grain Japanese rice, it works great. closest to Valencia rice in texture.
    Hey, maybe we should do a paella throw down in Honolulu I actually did use Japanese rice the last time I made one, so I agree on that one.

Stefan

Calasparra is excellent and also traditional, if you can only get Italian rice, carnaroli will be better than vialone nano or arborio.

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Hey, maybe we should do a paella throw down in Honolulu I actually did use Japanese rice the last time I made one, so I agree on that one.

Stefan
    we should have a Honolulu get together. we seem to have similar taste!

My first paella pan and a kilo of bomba rice were delivered yesterday by Amazon. The rice is expensive so I'm looking for a local source or equal alternative.

We keep arborio in the house and I'll try it out at some point.

My understanding is paella is a peasant dish cooked over a wood fire with rabbit and seafood. I'm going to try it on the smoker but wouldn't rabbit be tough unless it's braised first? Not that I make it all that often, but that's how I've always cooked bunny.

Mano,

Bomba is great and the most commonly used in good paellas, if cooked properly you'll get a first rate paella. Calasparra is also good. I personally use Bomba rice "Les Tanques" from the town of Pego, but it's unlikely you can find it outside the Valencian Community.

I posted these 2 links in the Off Topic forum, you might find them helpful:

1. seafood paella: http://blog.daviddejorge.com/2011/08...anda-socarrat/ by Quique Dacosta, 2 Michelin stars, one of the greatest chefs we have right now

2. rabbit paella: http://blog.daviddejorge.com/2010/07...la-valenciana/

the show is obviously in Spanish but it shouldn't be too hard to follow and the recipes can be translated with Google Translate.

IT'S RICE WARS !

Valencia rice. I buy mine from The Spanish Table in Seattle but they are on the web. I've had rice and just about anything you can think of as paella in Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    valencia or bomba are the traditional paella rices. You want the rice to be sticky enough that when you put it on a spoon and turn it upside down it won't fall off. The crusty bottom is really what everyone is after in a good paella it should be crispy and carmelized, but not burnt. That is why they use a thin carbon steel paella pan. The paella is brought to the table and everyone sits around and eats directly out of the pan, by scraping one spoon full at a time from the edge in and savoring the crusty bits. It shouldn't be fluffy or soupy it should be just right. I miss Spain! I'm going to make paella tomorrow!
    Mmmm crusty bottom rice, makes me want to get out my dolsot (stone bowl) and make Korean Bi Bim Bap!

For some reason the links I posted don't work, below are the fixed ones:

1. seafood paella: http://blog.daviddejorge.com/2011/08...anda-socarrat/ by Quique Dacosta, 2 Michelin stars, one of the greatest chefs we have right now

2. rabbit paella: http://blog.daviddejorge.com/2010/07...la-valenciana/

also, in the second link, Quique Dacosta explains how to create the crusty bottom, also known as "socarrat".

Lukas, I went to the other post for the links and did a google translate. There are some words I may ask you about through PMs, but the video and recipe are terrific.

I don't speak Spanish and the seafood video seems to have a clearer demonstration of socarrat than the rabbit, where the rice is mixed in with all the ingredients after they've cooked for a while. For the seafood, he makes a full layer of socarrat, and I assume the other ingredients are placed on top.

I already have chicken and seafood stock in the freezer but will make more.