Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rice for paella.....

Rice for paella.....

So i have read many different opinions on types of rices used for paella....which is the easiest to get that will give good results.....no it will not be served to paella aficionados so i don't have to be that authentic....buying in a store would be preferable to pay for shipping for just a bag of frigid rice....Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Best would be a Spanish bomba rice, but to be honest, I have also made it with Italian arborio rice and it came out just as well. Arborio should be easy to find in a well stocked market, not sure if Wholefoods has bomba.

Stefan

I thought arborio would be he opposite of what u wNted?.....isn't it fluffily and separate instead of creamy and sticky like risotto.....and whats up with the rice crust on the bottom?.....Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Arborio is the standard risotto rice.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Naah, both are medium grain rice varieties that can stay just that little bit chewy in the middle but absorb flavors well. Just don't wash the rice.

Just found this and it looks o.k. even though it is on the internet

http://www.ehow.com/info_8181492_typ...se-paella.html

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    I thought arborio would be he opposite of what u wNted?.....isn't it fluffily and separate instead of creamy and sticky like risotto.....and whats up with the rice crust on the bottom?.....Ryan
    I think arborio would work. I believe it just becomes creamy during the many additions of liquid, but I'm sure some of the many cooks on this board could answer this better than me.

arborio would be awful, too chalky. use short grain Japanese rice, it works great. closest to Valencia rice in texture.

I've been using Arborio for a long time. Paella is one of my go-to dishes and it is excellent, if I do say so myself.

valencia or bomba are the traditional paella rices. You want the rice to be sticky enough that when you put it on a spoon and turn it upside down it won't fall off. The crusty bottom is really what everyone is after in a good paella it should be crispy and carmelized, but not burnt. That is why they use a thin carbon steel paella pan. The paella is brought to the table and everyone sits around and eats directly out of the pan, by scraping one spoon full at a time from the edge in and savoring the crusty bits. It shouldn't be fluffy or soupy it should be just right. I miss Spain! I'm going to make paella tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    ...I'm going to make paella tomorrow!
    Me, too! lol