New Boards

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ejd53

Reaction score
Hi. I am a new member, but have been lurking for quite a while. I finally had an excuse to get a couple of new cutting boards when we decided to redo part of the kitchen. I contacted Dave and he was absolutely great to deal with and the boards turned out to be works of art (I almost can't bring myself to use them...ALMOST!:wink:). Both are 16 x 22; the first one is a cherry center with a walnut border and a trash chute (which matches the color in the granite almost perfectly) and the second is solid walnut. I have been using about 2 oz of mineral oil (both sides) every week, as well as after each washing.

563.jpg
564.jpg
DSC00927.jpg

That first one is amazing! Very jealous! I need to get me one!

A trash chute? Never heard or seen such a thing! Makes sense though. Beautiful boards. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

A trash chute? Never heard or seen such a thing! Makes sense though. Beautiful boards. Congrats and welcome to the forum.

Neither had I. But when I finally get Dave to make me a board, I love the idea of a trash chute.

The debris chute was an idea I hatched up with another customer who wanted to scrape the cuttings directly into a sink diposal. With the first ones, the feet were inset a little further towards the center of the board to allow for the sink rim. I have put it on several others and it is always a hit. I hope to alter the web site next year and I believe it will be offered and pictured there.

If anyone has any ideas to offer for other options, I would be happy to discuss them and maybe add them at a later date.

Wow both are stunning. The Boardsmith strikes again.

I first saw the debris chute in the pictures of the island that Dave made and thought it was a great idea. In the picture, the sink behind the board has a disposal in it and the board is used oriented at a 90 degree angle to the picture. It hangs over the edge of the sink with no problems (the sink is bottom-mount), thus no foot manipulations are necessary. It is very useful if I have large amounts of material to cut. I just put a container in the sink and push the diced onions (or whatever) into the container. Much easier than using the back of the knife. When I'm done cutting, I just sweep the left-overs into the sink. Takes about 30 seconds.

I don't get the debris chute. I never had any problems with any debris being pushed off the square edge of my cutting board or counter top for that matter. I just see it as a reduction in usable area, even if it's just a place to set a knife or maybe a little container that I'm working out of.

Back