Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New And Stuck between rock and hard place

New And Stuck between rock and hard place

Stuck between rock and hard place.

Advice On Home Kitchen Knives
    Looking to buy a new kitchen knife. Next step might be more knives. I've looked around this forum and other web sites. Before I registered here, I did not know a thing about kitchen knives. Now, I am upgraded to knowing almost nothing about kitchen knives.

Wife's criteria is a knife is a utensil. It must be easy to maintain, must do the job very well, must not look like a trophy knife or knife as a status symbol. She and her friends are competitive home chefs amongst themselves. The benificiaries are us husbands. Darn good cooks. Wife and I met while we were graduate students. Nothing more difficult than getting someone who was a subsistence graduate student for many years to part with $.

I gas BBQ on my DCS and have a Smoking Tex. 4 out of seven nights we will be eating vegitarian. Else when, ribs, chicken, fish.

I on the other hand want the knife (knives) to look good. Not "bling" but good. As the Qer and Smoker of the household, I need function too. I am willing to spend more than the wife, but the benefit of the additional cost must be justified.

To satisfy wife,
    Wife willing to pay for function, not knife art. So, Damascus "bling" is likely out.
    must be low effort to maintain. So, that would disqualify knives that rust or look bad when scratched easily.
    easy to sharpen, holds an edge.

The good news is the decision does not need to be made before any deadline.

I think the number one knife to fit your needs would be a Fujiwara FKM. I'd look into getting a 240mm gyuto to start, then maybe add a petty and paring. The Fujiwara FKM is around $80 USD for the 240mm gyuto. I don't think you can find a better deal. Eventually you will want to add a few sharpening stones and learn to sharpen. sharpening is easy and fun, it just takes practice.

Grant,

Welcome to KKF. Your questions are commonly asked by newcomers, so much so that there is a "sticky" with a list of questions that will help to make a recommendation: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...should-you-buy

Just cut and paste the questions and your answers in this thread.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

Howdy. Make sure you give us an overall budget. Sounds like you want a long slicer with a nice handle, a general use chef's knife and a shorter paring/petty knife, all monosteel stainless or possibly semi-stainless for the wife, if she's doesn't leave them sitting wet too long.

I would go with the carbonext series or any of the other JCK series of knives, they are a good deal and they fit your requirements I think.

That's true but I have to say I really don't like the handle on the vg10 series. It feels too smooth, the fitting of the pinned bolster is not great, and the odd purple handle exudes cheapness, imo. For what it's worth, I've only had a loaner knife returned without positive feedback twice and both times, it was the 240 gyuto from this series.

Update

I'm back. Actually, I never left. I was learning and had nothing to say. I have been learning a lot. This forum is a great information resource; excellent example of the benefit that unregulated Internet can bring to learning "with a little help from my friends."

My budget. Wife and I have just retired; liberal arts college teachers. Several generations of students taught. Rewarding in every way, except financial. "Dream high, spend low, get by." Wife says her old garage sale knives of unknown make are fine. She loves to cook, and knows the meaning of budget. I would like her to finally have a good set of kitchen knives as a retirement "reward" and present.

I've learned here that three knives can be adequate. Avoid block sets. Lesser name mail order brands can be better and cost less. Bling cladding adds price to a knife and not necessarily added functionality.

The following is my list. Comments appreciated. Order soon to be placed.
    Hiromoto AS: 150 petty -- 190 Santoku -- 240 Gyuto.

A serrated bread knife would be nice; perhaps later.

The Dave Martel group buy handle upgrades are beautiful and coveted, but not in budget. I like looking at the forum images nevertheless.

I will next research a cutting board, some stones, and learn how to sharpen.

Comments appreciated on what I have or have not learned so far, and my proposed knife list.

You won't go wrong with Hiro AS, but I think that anything that the santoku can do the gyuto will do as well if not better.

My wife has a 210 Hiro gyuto that I reach for as often as I reach for my larger gyutos. Love that knife.

If you're going to be bbqing a lot - a sujihiki for carving may be beneficial. Fujiwara mentioned above make a great budget suji in stainless or carbon.

I just had another look at your first post: the stainless that clads the Hiromoto's AS line is quite soft and can scratch easily, the green side of a scourer will mark it - just something to keep in mind.

For a well made but low priced serrated knife, look at Victorinox.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRogerPierce View Post
    For a well made but low priced serrated knife, look at Victorinox.
    +1 and the wooden handled ones look and feel quite nice.