Quantcast
Passion: Revisited
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Passion: Revisited

Passion: Revisited

While making breakfast this morning, I decided to pull my Dad's old Henckels chef knife (1978, IIRC) down to prep all the ingredients. I had virtually forgotten that it is in fact a knife, and not "just for decoration". I tested the edge on my nail, and thought, "not bad, but a quick honing on the ceramic should bring it up to speed". A few passes each side was all it took and it was as sharp as any knife I've ever used (that wasn't my own) - it was a hair popping machine!
    I put it to work and immediately remembered why I became so passionate about knives in the first place. It just felt RIGHT. I kind of fell in love with it all over again, and I think it's going to take the role of "go to" for a little while.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thats AWESOME. Thanks for sharing!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    While making breakfast this morning, I decided to pull my Dad's old Henckels chef knife (1978, IIRC) down to prep all the ingredients. I had virtually forgotten that it is in fact a knife, and not "just for decoration". I tested the edge on my nail, and thought, "not bad, but a quick honing on the ceramic should bring it up to speed". A few passes each side was all it took and it was as sharp as any knife I've ever used (that wasn't my own) - it was a hair popping machine!
    I put it to work and immediately remembered why I became so passionate about knives in the first place. It just felt RIGHT. I kind of fell in love with it all over again, and I think it's going to take the role of "go to" for a little while.
    I had a similar experience with my dad's old wusthof. growing up, he cooked every meal with that knife. I sharpened it up this past week and used it to cook a few meals. It felt great! I love nostalgia, I will treasure that knife.

Makes you wonder how important Rockwell hardness numbers really are.

-AJ

I have a couple knives like that, you get so familier with them that it's hard to let them go.

I have a Messermeister 6" Chef's knife that I still use for cutting up chicken. I think it's a mistake to think that softer knives dont't have their place.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

The thing about the softer knives is that the edge is lost easily, but brought back just as easily with a steel. It takes a harder steel to support a thin blade, though.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread