Passion: Revisited

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
While making breakfast this morning, I decided to pull my Dad's old Henckels chef knife (1978, IIRC) down to prep all the ingredients. I had virtually forgotten that it is in fact a knife, and not "just for decoration". I tested the edge on my nail, and thought, "not bad, but a quick honing on the ceramic should bring it up to speed". A few passes each side was all it took and it was as sharp as any knife I've ever used (that wasn't my own) - it was a hair popping machine!
I put it to work and immediately remembered why I became so passionate about knives in the first place. It just felt RIGHT. I kind of fell in love with it all over again, and I think it's going to take the role of "go to" for a little while. :D

While making breakfast this morning, I decided to pull my Dad's old Henckels chef knife (1978, IIRC) down to prep all the ingredients. I had virtually forgotten that it is in fact a knife, and not "just for decoration". I tested the edge on my nail, and thought, "not bad, but a quick honing on the ceramic should bring it up to speed". A few passes each side was all it took and it was as sharp as any knife I've ever used (that wasn't my own) - it was a hair popping machine!
I put it to work and immediately remembered why I became so passionate about knives in the first place. It just felt RIGHT. I kind of fell in love with it all over again, and I think it's going to take the role of "go to" for a little while. :D

I had a similar experience with my dad's old wusthof. growing up, he cooked every meal with that knife. I sharpened it up this past week and used it to cook a few meals. It felt great! I love nostalgia, I will treasure that knife.

Makes you wonder how important Rockwell hardness numbers really are.

-AJ

I have a couple knives like that, you get so familier with them that it's hard to let them go.

I have a Messermeister 6" Chef's knife that I still use for cutting up chicken. I think it's a mistake to think that softer knives dont't have their place.

The thing about the softer knives is that the edge is lost easily, but brought back just as easily with a steel. It takes a harder steel to support a thin blade, though.

Back