Japanese Knives Gesshin Hokubo Knives Up For Sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
We finally got the Gesshin Hokubo Knives up on the website at JKI. You can find them here:
Gesshin Hokubo @ JKI

You can read a little bit about Gesshin Hokubo here

Each Gesshin Hokubo knife is custom made and we only have one of each type. These knives are a corroborative work between some of the best Tosa blacksmiths and some amazing lacquer ware artists (all of whom are qualified craftsmen- certified by an oversight organization to ensure the strictest standards are upheld). Honestly, the pictures i took dont do these knives justice.

So check them out:

Gesshin Hokubo 270mm Kurouchi Yanagiba with 6-Sided Goto Nuri Handle
img_0022_8.jpg

Gesshin Hokubo 210mm Yanagiba with Wajima Mame Kannna Handle (Dark Brown)
img_0036_1_5.jpg

Gesshin Hokubo 210mm Kurouchi Katsuo Bocho with 6-sided Kanshitsu Lacquer ware Handle
img_0030_9.jpg

Gesshin Hokubo 210mm Katsuo Bocho with Wajima Mame Kannna Handle (Red)
img_0042_8.jpg

Gesshin Hokubo 180mm Kurouchi Nakiri with 6-sided Kanshitsu Lacquer ware Handle
img_0049_6.jpg

We found this video of a katsuo bocho being used (on youtube)... it just so happens to be from the same maker as our Gesshin Hokubo line:
Gesshin Hokubo at JKI

[video=youtube;nCAqYrCaupk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCAqYrCaupk&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

Thanks for the video link, Jon. That confirms that the mystery knife I have is a katsuo bocho. I had picked that up locally from Takeshi who only said it was a fish knife, but I was always a bit unclear on how it is used. Now I know, thanks! Maybe I should go get some tuna at the local fish auction one of these days. But mine is not sharpened correctly, the small backside edge is rather blunt. Have to talk to our master sharpener again about that...

Stefan

Does that make it a double double edge knife? :D

Jon,

Maybe it's just me and my iPad but I can't find that video on your website. The link you posted just takes me to your product page.

Beautiful knives. I love the lacquer. What's the second knife he is using in the video for trimming?

Back