Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new gyuto with flat profile or a suji instead?

Looking for a new gyuto with flat profile or a suji instead?

I have a 270 Konosuke HD which works great however I would like a knife with a flatter profile. I would still like it to be a laser, I prefer wa-handles, and would like this to be a pure carbon knife.

Any recommendations on a gyuto like this, or maybe i should just go for a suji instead? This would be used for general light prep and slicing lots of maki.

Did you see the new Kono HD @ C K T G with the edge that has a larger flat profile?

Maybe check out Stephan Fowler knives. Flat profiles, Wa handles and all in mono carbon. Result!

Quote Originally Posted by 99Limited View Post
    Did you see the new Kono HD @ C K T G with the edge that has a larger flat profile?
    I did not but I see its very nice. Killer price too with that handle....wish I got that instead of the original one I got, but thats life. I wouldn't get that though because I still would like to try something different.

Takeda with a special order profile?

“I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

The new HD looks like it has a longer flat spot at the heel, but it doesn't seem to have a flat profile per se. Fowler knives, Takeda kiritsuke gyuto are probably good representative of flat profile knives.

I moved away from a flat profile, as I found it not very useful for an all-around knife, as you have to make an adjustment to your cutting technique.

So, why a flat profile? Look or something else?

A flat profile on a nakiri, usuba, or kiritsuke makes sense, on a gyuto (Sabs might be one exception) or suji, not much. Just my 2c.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post

I moved away from a flat profile, as I found it not very useful for an all-around knife, as you have to make an adjustment to your cutting technique.
    Interesting ... I find a flat profile a lot more versatile than a knife with more belly.

Depends what you mean by belly.

Flat spots (at the heel) on most gyutos are around 1/4-1/3 of the length of the blade (latter would be my preference). Extending that flat spot would "flatten" the profile. On Takeda in the pic above, the flat spot is around 3/4 of the length of the blade.

It also depends how you cut. A good number of people cut with front 1/3 of the blade most of the time (me included). I rarely use a heel of a knife.
    M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    It also depends how you cut. A good number of people cut with front 1/3 of the blade most of the time (me included). I rarely use a heel of a knife.
    M
    Really? I use the area (from middle of the blade and towards the heel) at least as much if not more. Different styles I guess ...

I like flat profiles too. Both my 270 and 300 Konosuke sujis have a ton of flat space on them and I love them for that. If you don't have a suji yet, might be right up your alley. But if you looking to switch it up and try something new, you might like a Takeda--either the flat gyuto that Rick posted or a kiritsuke gyuto.