Quantcast
Shun Professional Electric Whetstone Knife Sharpener
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shun Professional Electric Whetstone Knife Sharpener

Shun Professional Electric Whetstone Knife Sharpener

Apologies if this has been posted before. Here's a link to the Shun Professional Electric Whetstone Knife Sharpener. For a little more money you could get a low-end Tormek. For a little less money you could get a Kalamazoo belt grinder. Neither would be convenient in the kitchen, though.

What really bugs me is the "burr-removal brush."

When I think about all the money I've spent on leather, felt, compounds, etc., and all I needed was a vegetable scrubber..........

Sounds pretty cool, if you ask me (except for the scrubber, lol). Too bad I spent all this time and money learning how to sharpen by hand...

I wonder how this does single bevel as claimed... I would think uraoshi would be pretty tough with this system.

Yeah, Dave, you should pick one up and toss all of your obsolete bricks.
    I'll even give you a few bucks for em -just cause Im a nice guy.

It's a "professional" model so its made for pros like you! It has an auto shut off "feature" after 15min due to motor heat, but I'm sure it doesn't take you more than that to do all of your sharpening work for the day.

If it came with a set of "quality stones" I am positive I could put a good edge on a knife with it.

Its pretty.

the thing is, these are going to sell. there will be people that buy these and think they have an advantage over their average home cook. then they are going to start sharpening their knives and other peoples for that matter. all this does is make shun money and feed the ignorance

funny to look at tho
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Hey!!! Don't you be tryin' to brush MY burr, Mr. Shun!!!!!

The problem with accurate criticism is trying to make the right comparison. I really don't see it being fair to compare this to true professional system.

This thing's real competition are other motorized sharpening machines made by companies like chef's choice and waring. Yes, its more expensive than those, but the fact that it's waterstone based and could possibly support different grits and angles could possibly be seen as an advantage.

While I am certain not going to buy one of these or ever advise anyone else to do so, I try to see the positive side of things. Like maybe using a machine like this or just reading about it might get someone thinking more about sharpening, waterstones, and ACTUAL professional methods. Or, maybe this sorta yuppie novelty is exactly what some consumers want... in which case, at least they won't be using dull knives or trying to sharpen on one of those manual, carbide, pull through V things.

+ Reply to Thread