Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lobster Spliiter Recommendation

Lobster Spliiter Recommendation

Was hoping to get some advice from you guys. My uncle is a commercial lobster fisherman and I was thinking about grabbing him a lobster splitter for Christmas. I知 not entirely sure what he uses now and if he値l even use this one but he痴 a tough one to shop for so better than nothing. I was hoping to find something around or under $100 if possible. I know Victornox sells one for about $120 or so, which is what I知 leaning towards. I would really like to get grab him a Tojiro 240 western deba but more than I want to spend without knowing if he値l put it to work or not. Can any of you chime in with something that would serve the purpose of a splitter that I might be able to get a good deal on. Still enough time to find something used on eBay if that痴 the case. Just really should be stainless since it will probably be used out on the boat, and I doubt salt water and carbon steel will play nice with each other without paying serious attention to it.

I split over a 100 a day. Go on eBay and get a #0 orv#1 old Beatty and son cleaver, best lobster splitter I've ener used. Love using a 100+ year old knife too.

That's good to know, I've got a #0 & #3 Beatty. I could give him my 0 and shop for a replacement over time. So you don't need a pointed tip on the blade to do a good split on the lobster? I worry about the Beatty being cast steel though and getting pretty rusted on his boat.

Sabatier Canadian Massif
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I'm not sure that the lobster splitter pattern is even made anymore.

Seems to me that CCK should have something that would fill that bill.....
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

No idea if these are any good or not but take a look

http://www.knifeprocutlery.com/butcher-knives/

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    I split over a 100 a day. Go on eBay and get a #0 orv#1 old Beatty and son cleaver, best lobster splitter I've ener used. Love using a 100+ year old knife too.
    Those are sooo dang cool! If I had a bigger place I'd get one just for s&g's.

I would go for a yo deba or your plain ol western knives like a wustof or a henckels.

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    No idea if these are any good or not but take a look

http://www.knifeprocutlery.com/butcher-knives/
    http://www.knifeprocutlery.com/butch...ster-splitter/

Well that might fit the bill, thank you. Too bad they don't give any description at all about their blades. Don't tell you length let alone thickness. For $40 I might give it a shot. Anyone in a pro kitchen ever used/seen this brand before and can chime in? Seems like some generic, low grade stuff.