Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will this sharpening devise work?

Will this sharpening devise work?

First off, I'm terrified at the prospect of sharpening my own knives. I was thinking of buying the Chef's Choice 1520, but, from reading the boards, have opted not to do so, which leaves me with wanted to learn how to sharpen with stones.

But, I'm a stone virgin and quite intimidated of using them. I came across a sharpening device put out by Shun. It claims to be easy and that even a novice can achieve successful results. http://www.amazon.com/Shun-DM0610-Cl...d=CIMLTJS2RSRN

My questions are (1) does this system seem to have merit? (2) What DVD on sharpening would you recommend?

Thanks a ton to anyone who will help me out.

Just my take on it but I don't think that setup offers much, if any, benefit over just having a stone flat on a wet towel or in a stone holder. The fact that the honing steel can be mounted on the holder is neither a plus nor minus, in my view, since I don't use honing steels for anything at all.

Oh, and I almost forgot... Welcome, Keith!
    Len

Keith, since you posted on the JKS forum, I would recommend getting Daves sharpening DVD a few stones and practice every day. It will be much more valuable than getting that jig. Plus it will give you a better understanding for how your knives work.

I think in the long run you'd be better off and have more fun doing the following. Get that sharpening DVD ( Dave's is the best) and som really cheep knives off eBay, should be able to get a bulk lot of cheepys for under $20. Practice on the cheep ones and Have your good set sharpened by a pro till you feel confident in your new skills. Stick around here I'll bet you pick up a lot of good info on sharpening. take a class on sharpening, Dave does a great class a few times a year that's kind of cool B/C you get to meet some of us other members.
    Have fun
    Colin

Thanks for the welcome, Kaleab, and also for the DVD recommendation, Echerub. When I first visited the forum last night, I saw his DVD mentioned and bookmarked it. I'll buy it early January, watch it, then get some stones. I'm sure to find some older knives to practice on first. My Japanese knives are still plenty sharp, but I do have a old set of knives that is disposable. We don't even use them anymore.

If you want to experiment with stones conservatively, I would recommend getting stones and a flattening method and trying them out. To get used to the motion, I'd take a knife with nice bevels already installed and then mark it with a black marker. Drag it lightly along a finishing stone as though you were sharpening it. The marker will rub off where the stone makes contact. When you can consistently get most of the marker off in in one pass, you can start sharpening without fear of mangling your knife. Don't worry about getting sharp. If your bevels are consistent, your edge will get sharp automatically once the two sides of the edge meet.

Since you have sharp knives already, it might be a good time to start experimenting. Don't be discouraged if the sharpness does not improve initially.

Yeah, I'd love to attend one of his classes, but they're probably way to far for me. I googled for classes in my area (Northern California in the Sacramento region) last night and came up with nothing. I attended one of Williams Sonoma's knife sharpening clinics a year or two ago, but it really didn't deal with Stones and focused mainly on buying one of their sharpening systems.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to order the DVD today.

Oops, they seem to be out of stock.

Thanks, that will bide the time until the DVD's are in stock again while my nerves are up for taking on this skill.