Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Some extra handles available

Some extra handles available

Hi, while I am still working on a load of orders, I do have a few extra handles available. I will take better pics if I get to it, just thougt I'd give you a preview:

Left column

1. lignum vitae handle with marbled horn, probably on a short gyuto or better on a short yanagi
    2. amboyna and marbled horn. This is probably the nicest piece of amboyna I have ever worked with, and the ferrule is also excellent. Large handle, best for a 300mm gyuto. I wanted to make it smaller, but the wood looked so great that I just didn't want to sand away more...
    3. koa, ns spacer, spalted ferrule. slim yanagi handle, on hold for now but may become available

Right column

1. blackwood, black horn ferrule, black & honey streak horn endcap. The ferrule was supposed to be honey streaked also, but by the time I had sanded it, the honey streaks were gone. Looks like there is a glue line at the end cap, that comes out stronger in the pic than in real life, I hadn't even registered it before. should work on a gyuto 240
    2. blackwood, dyed box elder ferrule, light wood burl spacer, I think it was black ash (I am writing this without having them in front of me...). small gyuto or maybe even a smaller deba
    3. spalted Hawaiian signature and snakewood. This may be on hold, maybe I re-work it, there is a small flaw that I could sand away and it would then be really small, think ajikiri or petty
    4. blackwood & koa, slim handle, best for a shorter yanagi
    5. blackwood, horn ferrule, jasper spacer and color coordinated red & white mammoth tooth end cap. for a smaller deba or a smaller gyuto if you don't mind that it is a little bit on the stubby side
    6. mango and ironwood - sorry, this one is gone already
    7. two-tone amboyna and a lightly marbled horn ferrule, the pic shows the uglier side. strong taper at the ferrule, should work for a light gyuto 210-240 (need to measure it again). Has a little bit of light discoloring where the horn meets the wood.
    8. koa, red fiber spacer, spalted ferrule. for a heavier gyuto, think Watanabe 240

P1010892 by mgapicius, on Flickr

There will be a few more that I am still working on. Also, there are still a few that have been around for a while, they should all be described on my website. They grey and yellow one is on hold for now but may become available again. Let's do this: You will get 33% off the original price for each of the ones in the pic below that you buy with one of the ones in the pic above.

P1010900 by mgapicius, on Flickr

If anybody is interested in one of them, please let me know.

Stefan

In the discount rack, what is the 3rd one down in the left column? I dont see it on your site. sizing?

Beautiful work as always Stefan!

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    In the discount rack, what is the 3rd one down in the left column? I dont see it on your site. sizing?
    Thanks for catching that, Chris. That's a spalted maple handle, the wood is actually a light green which does not come across in this picture. It has a thicker copper spacer and black horn ferrule. If you like shorter (around 137mm, I think) and slightly thicker handles, it should work on a 240 gyuto even though it's a little shorter than I usually make them for that size. A not too anorexic 210 should work also. One caveat: I have to check that one again, last time I had it in my hand, the transition from metal to wood was not perfectly flush anymore, so the maple may have shrunk just a tiny bit - we are talking fractions of a mm here. But I may want to resand and refinish it before sending it to someone.

I have gotten a few PMs already, thanks for your interest, guys! I will answer them as good as I can and when I am home tonight I can get more specific with measures and pictures.

Stefan

You sure do make some nice handles Stefan!
    Mark Farley / Burl Source
    Phone 541-287-1029, Email burlsource@gmail.com
    Visit our web store

I don't need that Amboyna handle, but I sure want it.

Quote Originally Posted by mhenry View Post
    I don't need that Amboyna handle, but I sure want it.
    +1 to that. Even after deciding not to buy it, I have gone back to gaze at it.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I love the red/white mammoth tooth one with the jasper spacer.

These are all going to be for sale?

Yeah, and that piece of horn is amazing.

I also really like the "blackwood, black horn ferrule, black & honey streak horn endcap" handle

(replying to mhenry)