Quantcast
Some extra handles available - Page 6
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Some extra handles available

Here are some extra ones. They include a few that have been around for a while, a few that I reworked, and a few new ones. Probably half a dozen more will follow in about 2 weeks or so. I forgot my caliper in the shop, but I will try and take better pics and describe them a bit. If any one of them interests you, please let me know. BTW, I they are all finished and ready to ship except for a final wipe-down, but the box I had them in was dusty, so some look dirtier than they are - hadn't noticed when I took them out in the semi-dark living room for a quick snapshot...

Just roughly, left to right:

Spalted Hawaiian Norfolk pine, gyuto handle - star of show IMHO, beautiful piece of wood
    Black ash burl, smaller gyuto, deba
    bone scales, amboyna core, oval shape with strong taper
    koa with maple ferrule and end cap, red fiber spacers, around 180 gyuto, nakiri, maybe even deba
    blackwood, dyed burl, black ash spacer, smaller gyuto
    blackwood, horn ferrule, jasper spacer, mammoth tooth endcap, small deba, 180 gyuto (a little on the sturdy side)
    purple heart and holly stripes, honey horn ferrule and end cap, round with flattened ferrule, large gyuto or cleaver
    walnut burl, spalted signature ferrule, horn end cap, oval, small deba?
    redwood burl, afzelia tip, horn spacer and end cap, thinner handle for petty
    ebony, koa ferrule, burl end piece, slim handle, maybe a 270 funayuki or a slim yanagi
    spalted Cook pine, horn ferrule, gyuto 270
    blackwood, black horn ferrule, honey horn end cap (ferrule was supposedly honey also but when finished, only black remained...), gyuto
    blackwood, dyed teal burl, mammoth tooth end cap, gyuto, deba
    koa, buckeye burl ferrule, amboyna spacer, slimmer gyuto or suji/yanagi
    blue dyed birdseye maple, black ash burl ferrule, petty handle
    Masur birch burl, black horn spacer, cream horn ferrule (you can see leftover buffing compound that has not yet been cleaned out, this one has a somewhat rustic surface because of te burl wood), gyuto handle

front left: Hawaiian milo (I think), spalted maple ferrule, fiber spacers, gyuto handle, front right: ambrosia maple, redwood burl ferrule.

Stefan

The norfolk pine handle is really nice

Engorged Member
    those really look great!

PM sent on the following: Masur birch burl, black horn spacer, cream horn ferrule and koa, buckeye burl ferrule, amboyna spacer

Hi everyone, I woke up finding several PMs - thanks for the interest! - and several showed interest in the same handles, specifically the Norfolk pine, Masur birch and koa with buckeye burl handles. I will try to go through them in the order I received them but I need coffee first. What I can say already is that the koa with buckeye burl handle as well as the redwood petty handle are reserved at this time.

Stefan

Waiting to hear back from someone who has first dibs on these yanagi handles, but whatever he doesn't take will move into the 'available' pool.

Stefan

Those are some frakkin' beautiful pieces!

I'm really liking that second piece from the top of the yanagi handles. Makes me want to buy a nicer yanagi just so I can buy that handle. Since I've been meaning to buy a better yanagi, maybe I will buy that handle if it becomes available!
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Thanks guys, I made a few of these to choose from for a gentleman who specified he wanted them on the slim side and long, for 300-300 yanagis. So they are all just around 20x25mm at the end and over 150mm long. In case you are wondering: mango, Honduran rosewood burl, koa, and spalted Hawaiian kukui nut are the main handle woods.

Stefan