Quantcast
Some extra handles available - Page 11
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Some extra handles available

What do you have left for a 240 mm gyuto?
    Thank you
    Respect all Fear none

Quote Originally Posted by azchef View Post
    What do you have left for a 240 mm gyuto?
    Thank you
    I have to look into my box again, but I think the best option would be the #5 D-shaped handle in the picture above. You can PM me what you have in mind, I have a few half-done ones, maybe one of them would work for you.

Stefan

Hello Stefan.
    I am new to the site. Your work is amazing. Do you sell the spalted Signature wood? Upon seeing it I have fallen into it's spell. I would love to use some on my personal knives.

Again beautiful work.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulselfe View Post
    Hello Stefan.
    I am new to the site. Your work is amazing. Do you sell the spalted Signature wood? Upon seeing it I have fallen into it's spell. I would love to use some on my personal knives.

Again beautiful work.
    Thanks for your kind words. Unfortunately. I have a bit of separation anxiety when it comes to selling wood I am more of a hoarder... Depending on how things go, I may have to sell some down the road, but the spalted signature is so hard to get that this would be one wood I would want to hold on to for as long as I can. Hope you understand.

Stefan

So Stefan, have you been up to anything woody lately?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

The day will come... Not as productive as I should be considering I don't have a full time job, but between job hunting and being utterly frustrated I am my usual slow self. That said, I have been working on a bunch of things and always try to throw in a few extras if I can. It's fun to figure out with a person what exactly they like and trying to come as close as possible to it. But sometimes I also just miss doing my own ideas in my own time, so I try to at least always have a few on the bench that I like. There is at least a good dozen woods on my shelves I have not even gotten a chance to try out, yet...

Stefan

Still trying to catch up with things, I will give you an update about my life shortly... For now, I know Dave has a few of my handles that are extras I finished over the past few moths as well as some that had not sold right away previously, and I have a few more for grabs that I wanted to show:

Attachment 16812
    Attachment 16815
    Attachment 16814
    Attachment 16813

Just when I thought I had the uploading figured out... Seems different from the Ipad. Unless a moderator comes to the rescue I will try again tomorrow. Just as a short description: 6 handles total here

1) Hawaiian pheasant wood and black ash burl ferrule (I think); a bit stubby, I would put that on a 180 or 210 deba. $130

2) sugi and horn; sugi is the national tree of Japan but also happens to grow in Hawaii. Handle has a number of grooves and checks that have been filled. Good for a 240 gyuto or similar, will use more if the darker variety of this wood in the future. $130 (I remember Konosuke charging an arm and a leg for sugi handles, not sure why...).

3) premium old growth redwood burl piece, marbled ferrule, spacer or mammoth tooth between two slivers of bog oak. Slim gyuto 240 handle but would also work on a yanagi. $160

4) Nice curly koa piece from Mark with marbled horn ferrule, gyuto 240 handle, also a bit slimmer than I normally make them. Very nice chatoyance (3-D effect). $145

5) curly koa, marbled horn, mammoth tusk bark end cap. Koa comes in so many different variations. This is the type that catches the top $$. From an older tree, very dense regular curl (at least 10/inch). Chatoyance is a little less pronounced in this type but still very nice. One of the nicest pieces I ever used, nicer than the one I paid $95 for to Dan O'Malley to rehandle my Blazen years ago... Works probably best for a not too anaemic 240 gyuto. $165

6) bog oak with blue bakelite ferrule and end cap. I applied some finish to it but still wanted to leave a few of the natural lines in the wood visible as a contrast to the smooth bakelite. If I had a nice 300 yanagi to rehandle, I would keep it for myself... $145

All prices plus $8 for insured shipping in the US. Other places, please ask because postage prices have gotten ridiculous...

Thanks,

Stefan

Clickies don't work for me....

Quote Originally Posted by RobinW View Post
    Clickies don't work for me....
    Thanks Robin, I will try to figure it out, need to dig out the PC from the moving box... Btw, your 2 are also done.

Stefan

would be interested in no. 4) if I can see pics...