Quantcast
Some extra handles available - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Some extra handles available

Thanks guys. Yep, all the ones here are for sale although I have questions on a few of them. I need to do one more thing and then will try to take a few pics and follow up on all the PMs tonight. These are all handles I either had for a while or made as extras while I worked on others. There won't be too many extras for a while, I just need to get through the orders first.

O.k., I might as well do that now: There are a few more that are close to being done and that are also up for grabs. Too busy this weekend, but I am confident that I can send those out before the end of the year:

P1010895 by mgapicius, on Flickr

Second from the bottom left is on hold, second from the top on the right is sold.

Stefan

Stefan what's second from the top on the left? Do you think it would fit a Nakiri?

Quote Originally Posted by bcrano View Post
    Stefan what's second from the top on the left? Do you think it would fit a Nakiri?
    Hi Brian, most of these are a bit larger, 2nd from the top is thuya burl but too large for a nakiri, more for a lighter gyuto. This is unstabilized thuya, so not for everyone. Thuya is pretty oily and doesn't stabilize all that well, also loses a lot of its beauty when you stabilize it. For size reference, the 2nd one from thr top on the right goes on a 270 gyuto.

Stefan

Stefan, would either of the top two on the left work for a 270mm suji? What are the dimensions of the slots on those two?

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    Stefan, would either of the top two on the left work for a 270mm suji? What are the dimensions of the slots on those two?
    The second on the top (unstabilized thuya burl) could work for a suji, the first one is too slim and is best for a long, not too massive yanagi. In general, the slots are on the small side and can be filed open to match the tangs. The inside of the handle is drilled out slightly oversized, so that it will accomodate tangs of all sizes.

I just have gotten caught up in things over the past few days, and tomorrow I will be at graduation most of the day. I will follow up all PMs as soon as I can.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Can you tell me about the fourth one down on the left and the one all the way at the bottom on the right?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

The third one down on the left looks like the one I requested for my 175 Carter Wabocho.

Im just curious, do you make these handles then forget who they are for?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Can you tell me about the fourth one down on the left and the one all the way at the bottom on the right?
    The fourth one on the left is a piece of Masur birch burl from Craig Stevens, one of my last peices of this great burl wood. It has a black horn spacer and marbled horn ferrule, should work on a 240 gyuto. The bottom one on the right is a dyed maple or boxelder burl handle (I didn;t mark them, now I can't kep the dyed ones apart...). This one ois a bit over 152mm long and would be best on a 270 gyuto, because of its heft maybe even a sturdier one like a Watanabe. I hope this helps,

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by Hattorichop View Post
    The third one down on the left looks like the one I requested for my 175 Carter Wabocho.

Im just curious, do you make these handles then forget who they are for?
    Hey, I am a very confused man, things like that can happpen. But not in this case, I sent you a PM. The handle here is a koa handle that is more for a 240 gyuto.

Stefan

Stefan what kind of wood is number 3L? i would be interested in that one too if Hattori doesn't snap it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Hey, I am a very confused man, things like that can happpen. But not in this case, I sent you a PM. The handle here is a koa handle that is more for a 240 gyuto.

Stefan