Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newspaper equals ...?

Newspaper equals ...?

Hi guys,

I finished my knives on chromium oxide on leather for quite some time and was very pleased with the results. A few weeks back I saw the Carter videos on youtube and his finishing on newspaper. Intrigued, I tried it myself. And woah, what a nice effect. With my chromium oxide, the knives were very sharp and moderate aggressive, but with newspaper it was just a scary aggressive edge. I like the newspaper edge a lot more for kitchen knives to be frank.

My question therefore, which compound and which gritsize produces a result like a newspaper?

Engorged Member
    i should try this...

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRogerPierce View Post
    Hi guys,

I finished my knives on chromium oxide on leather for quite some time and was very pleased with the results. A few weeks back I saw the Carter videos on youtube and his finishing on newspaper. Intrigued, I tried it myself. And woah, what a nice effect. With my chromium oxide, the knives were very sharp and moderate aggressive, but with newspaper it was just a scary aggressive edge. I like the newspaper edge a lot more for kitchen knives to be frank.

My question therefore, which compound and which gritsize produces a result like a newspaper?
    I'm curious, if you want to have an edge like the newspaper stropped edge why not just strop on newspaper? I would assume stopping at a lower grit (2k?) and then light stropping would do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I'm curious, if you want to have an edge like the newspaper stropped edge why not just strop on newspaper? I would assume stopping at a lower grit (2k?) and then light stropping would do the same thing.
    I like nice tools. Newspaper, as effective as it is, is just something improvised. I would like something, that could accompany my existing strops.

Stopping at low grit and then strop produces an aggressive edge yes, but it is also course, not very refined. Working with that edge isn't quite the fun as with the full progression and then newspaper stropping.

I don't think you can get the same effect with anything else. The reason newspaper does what it does is because of silica and I am not aware of anyone selling silica powder, gel, crayon or what not. Theres nothing wrong with using newspaper, I do it all the time to deburr and finish some carbon knives.

For those who strop on newspaper, how do you actually do it? Just lay a sheet over the stone? I tried this and it didn't lay flat and just made a hell of a mess, it sort of shriveled up

I just wrap the stone in the paper and place it back on the stoneholder.

Carter just rips a piece of newspaper a bit larger than the stone and lays it on the wet stone he has been using. The paper gets wet and sticks, he flattens it out a bit, and strops.
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanRogerPierce View Post
    I just wrap the stone in the paper and place it back on the stoneholder.

i do this only with the back of my DMT
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

I got the impression the active component is black ink.