This Damascus was going to be ferrules for the feather blades, but I ended up with the proportions slightly wrong after twisting and forging out my billet of W's. So to make some use of it I forged it out, chopped it into about 15 pieces and made a kind of basket weave with the twisted W's. I can't quite follow what I did either.... But its quite striking I'm not sure what to call it though, any ideas?
I have profiled this 180mm Petty from the billet, I ground the taper in this time to keep the pattern. Its thicker above the heel than my usual at the moment, at 3mm, tapering dramatically though. Less than 1mm, 10mm behind the tip already. Will be ht'd and fully ground shortly.
As its quite a bling pattern, I'm planning something suitable for the handle. The ferrule will be made from Mammoth tooth and stainless spacers, with a piece of lovely blue dyed maple burl, then stainless/mammoth end cap.
This one will be looking for a home as it was not quite planned. so any early interest, let me know and we can talk about pricing, I doubt I will repeat the pattern, it took too long.
Some pictures, will get some better ones in daylight as it progresses.
Profile shot. The heel will get some radius yet. Presently the blade is just under 190mm.
Quick preview of the pattern, rough ground and a quick etch.