Damascus Petty.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillC

Reaction score
This Damascus was going to be ferrules for the feather blades, but I ended up with the proportions slightly wrong after twisting and forging out my billet of W's. So to make some use of it I forged it out, chopped it into about 15 pieces and made a kind of basket weave with the twisted W's. I can't quite follow what I did either.... But its quite striking:D I'm not sure what to call it though, any ideas?
I have profiled this 180mm Petty from the billet, I ground the taper in this time to keep the pattern. Its thicker above the heel than my usual at the moment, at 3mm, tapering dramatically though. Less than 1mm, 10mm behind the tip already. Will be ht'd and fully ground shortly.
As its quite a bling pattern, I'm planning something suitable for the handle. The ferrule will be made from Mammoth tooth and stainless spacers, with a piece of lovely blue dyed maple burl, then stainless/mammoth end cap.
This one will be looking for a home as it was not quite planned. so any early interest, let me know and we can talk about pricing, I doubt I will repeat the pattern, it took too long.:lol2:

Some pictures, will get some better ones in daylight as it progresses.

Profile shot. The heel will get some radius yet. Presently the blade is just under 190mm.

IMG_1723.jpg

Quick preview of the pattern, rough ground and a quick etch.
IMG_1724.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

IMG_1727.jpg

IMG_1728.jpg

IMG_1729.jpg

IMG_1730.jpg

Looks like a tornado to me... Pretty nice

Cheers, yeah I thought very storm like. This particular mistake has given me lots of ideas in any case, Nice how that can happen.:biggrin:

Turbulance it is! Unless Randy already has one called turbulence.:biggrin:

This one got Ht'd today, lots of grinding to do.....:spin chair:

Had a play with some mammoth tooth as well, enough to find out it does not like being drilled:O Carbide cutter goes well through it though, just need to get one the right size.

Thank you kind sir, a happy accident.:D

Hi Will,

Merry Christmas and PM as to possible interest sent as to this one of a kind item.

rgds

Hello David, Oh you mean this one.:O Yes its available. I'll get it ground and see how it comes out for you.:D

Sweet, I named a damascus pattern. I'll be sure to order one from you in it one day.

I'd better make sure I write down how I did it then so I don't forget.:D

Finally some pics of the finished blade on this one. Got all the handle bits ready too. Ready to get finished after the Holiday.:spin chair:
IMGP1853.jpg

IMGP1852.jpg

IMGP1846.jpg

The patterns insane :)
Good job it didn't end up as ferrules lol.

Thanks Mate, It is bonkers isn't it, bit like a scene from a manga type comic, with dragons and smoke, lots of shape and imagery, still making my mind up about handle materials, I've got lots of bits prepared though to choose from.

Was going to ask if you were still going for the all singing all dancing handle

I'm still making my mind up. I've got a bolster and end cap prepared for it in that hexagonal brass, its very copper rich brass, very pretty, but I might have to use something lighter on the back. The jig means I can try bits out without gluing. I think i'm going to do a tapered hexagonal handle for it if I can set the angle right on the disc sander:D

Quick update, handle assembled on jig, and squared up ready to grind.
IMGP1945.jpg

This one is all finished, it is also available to purchase, I'll pop it on my site later.
IMGP2039.jpg

IMGP2002.jpg

Lots more pictures in my Gallery

Will,
you have come an amazing way in such short time. outstanding work!

I don't usually go in for colorful handles, but that one goes perfectly with the color/pattern of the blade. Really nice work Will.

Thank you Son:biggrin:
Johnny, I often feel the same about unnatural colors but felt this pattern was screaming out for some bling.:D
This one is now sold and will be on its way to NY soon.:cheffry:

Thank you Son:biggrin:
Johnny, I often feel the same about unnatural colors but felt this pattern was screaming out for some bling.:D
This one is now sold and will be on its way to NY soon.:cheffry:

Dammit!

There are teeth and some dragons and all sorts off bizarreness in there, depending on how your feeling. I have written down roughly what I did but doubt I could ever replicate it exactly. Its given me plenty of ideas for variation patterns though. I had to grind this one much more than I usually would to keep the pattern and not stretch it out too much. Normally I'll try and compress the pattern so it can be forged to shape as thats how I like to work. Next time i'll plan it a bit more like that and see what comes out. Its allways a fun time etching something when your not quite sure what you've done.:D
This one is now on its way to a new owner in NY, a KKF member, so thanks KKF.:biggrin:

Back