Quantcast
Line Knife - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Line Knife

If you've got a chance to handle a production "Tojiro ITK Shirogami Wa-Gyuto 210mm" I think that there is lot of promise in the basic design premise: stout, blade-heavy design, a heel that's taller than most suji's but on the long&low side of gyuto profiles. I spent a few months with one before I gave it as an XMAS gift.

If you didnt increase the height but kinda "stretched" it another 15mm primarily adding onto a "sweet spot" at the nose, it would be a really cool knife: kinda a gyuto-suji (gyu-ji?).

Obviously a DT knife would have much better attention to detail, fit&finish, etc, but I like working knives that still have a little rustic, rough n' tumble charm and just look cooler with some well-earned wear.

Engorged Member
    Initially, Hoss and I discussed a 210mm suji but with a stouter blade. It's kinda morphed into the suji/gyuto.

yeah i really like the idea of a stout suji wearing a high heel. It seems like a logical frankenknife, but i have yet to see one done really well.

Can't wait to see what the man comes up with.

240mm suji has been my line knife for years, gyuto works best for prep, but I will ALWAYS have a 240mm suji on me

I think a little bit of an upswept handle would be useful. Not as much as the "Alton's Angle" Shuns, but a few degrees for a little extra knuckle clearance.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    I think a little bit of an upswept handle would be useful. Not as much as the "Alton's Angle" Shuns, but a few degrees for a little extra knuckle clearance.
    wa or western handled?

Quote Originally Posted by chefofthefuture View Post
    wa or western handled?
    Wa
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Engorged Member
    I visited DT this past weekend and watched as he put together a 210mm sujihiki in a spicy white steel/stainless san mai. I left it with him to tweak the handle some. I was able to use it to do some prep for a Mexican BBQ shared with his family and let me tell you: this is an amazing knife. It is a great line knife. I have used other 210mm pettys but felt they were too laser-ish. This knife was light, but substantial at the same time.

For any of you on the fence about contacting Hoss about a custom, don't. He makes amazing knives and knows what an amazing knife is.

Sorry no pics...What happens in Panaca, stays in Panaca.

Pesky
    Last edited by JohnnyChance; 01-12-2012 at 05:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I visited DT this past weekend and watched as he put together a 210mm sujihiki in a spicy white steel/stainless san mai. I left it with him to tweak the handle some. I was able to use it to do some prep for a Mexican BBQ shared with his family and let me tell you: this is an amazing knife. It is a great line knife. I have used other 210mm pettys but felt they were too laser-ish. This knife was light, but substantial at the same time.

For any of you on the fence about contacting Hoss about a custom, don't. He makes amazing knives and knows what an amazing knife is.

Sorry no pics...What happens in Panaca, stays in Panaca.

Pesky
    Now you've got me wanting pics!!!