Line Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped the ball on that one, whoops.

I did make some 210mm gyuto's though.

Pesky is having me make him a line knife, we'll see how he likes his, and maybe make some adjustments.

Hoss

I think durability would be priority so it would have to be stainless and the wood would have to be stabilized. 225mm should be the right length, not too big for a line but big enough to be useful.

The shape would be interesting, I always pictured something that has the rough shape of a suji however it would be somewhat taller and have a more pronounced belly so it could be used for slicing or push cuts. Essentially anything that would need to be done in a pinch on the line. I've also always liked the look of a kiritsuke tip, so that might be an idea.

Yeah, kinda a gyuto/suji hybrid, maybe 43-43mm tall at the heel. I like the standard Devin profile, but perhaps a slightly higher tip with a little bit more curve would be useful.

Yeah, kinda a gyuto/suji hybrid, maybe 43-43mm tall at the heel. I like the standard Devin profile, but perhaps a slightly higher tip with a little bit more curve would be useful.

Yeah I agree that the suji/gyoto combo would be best for what we're going for here. I think one of us just needs to come up with a rough drawing.

Good chance DT and I are working on this at his place on Thursday. Any ideas people?

Wouldn't a shorter suji (240-260mm) with good board manners be the best all-arounder for a line knife?

I've tried a smaller suji and don't like it as much. Jon Broida has what I think was a HC Masamoto 240mm gyuto that hes sharpened so many times it like a 215mm suji/gyuto.

If you've got a chance to handle a production "Tojiro ITK Shirogami Wa-Gyuto 210mm" I think that there is lot of promise in the basic design premise: stout, blade-heavy design, a heel that's taller than most suji's but on the long&low side of gyuto profiles. I spent a few months with one before I gave it as an XMAS gift.

If you didnt increase the height but kinda "stretched" it another 15mm primarily adding onto a "sweet spot" at the nose, it would be a really cool knife: kinda a gyuto-suji (gyu-ji?).

Obviously a DT knife would have much better attention to detail, fit&finish, etc, but I like working knives that still have a little rustic, rough n' tumble charm and just look cooler with some well-earned wear.

Initially, Hoss and I discussed a 210mm suji but with a stouter blade. It's kinda morphed into the suji/gyuto.

yeah i really like the idea of a stout suji wearing a high heel. It seems like a logical frankenknife, but i have yet to see one done really well.

Can't wait to see what the man comes up with.

240mm suji has been my line knife for years, gyuto works best for prep, but I will ALWAYS have a 240mm suji on me

I think a little bit of an upswept handle would be useful. Not as much as the "Alton's Angle" Shuns, but a few degrees for a little extra knuckle clearance.

I visited DT this past weekend and watched as he put together a 210mm sujihiki in a spicy white steel/stainless san mai. I left it with him to tweak the handle some. I was able to use it to do some prep for a Mexican BBQ shared with his family and let me tell you: this is an amazing knife. It is a great line knife. I have used other 210mm pettys but felt they were too laser-ish. This knife was light, but substantial at the same time.

For any of you on the fence about contacting Hoss about a custom, don't. He makes amazing knives and knows what an amazing knife is.

Sorry no pics...What happens in Panaca, stays in Panaca.

Pesky

Last edited by a moderator:
I visited DT this past weekend and watched as he put together a 210mm sujihiki in a spicy white steel/stainless san mai. I left it with him to tweak the handle some. I was able to use it to do some prep for a Mexican BBQ shared with his family and let me tell you: this is an amazing knife. It is a great line knife. I have used other 210mm pettys but felt they were too laser-ish. This knife was light, but substantial at the same time.

For any of you on the fence about contacting Hoss about a custom, don't. He makes amazing knives and knows what an amazing knife is.

Sorry no pics...What happens in Panaca, stays in Panaca.

Pesky

Now you've got me wanting pics!!!

Sounds like a cool project. Looking forward to pics of the finished creation.

The masamoto KS gyuto has a suji/gyutoish shape that I find very usefull a 240 leaning a bit more towards a suji I think would be an interesting shape.

I think if you made a 210 Masamoto KS that would be perfect for a line knife. You still need such a knife to be a little gyuto like especially if it is only 210 long to give you any sort of usable flat area.

Yea some sujis are a bit too narrow, and gyutos too tall. I agree with what's been said here. And I like the 225mm length as well. Not a petty but not a 240 gyuto (which can be too long it tight areas) ... I do like the Kiritsuke tip as well, but don't think it's a deal breaker.

Back