Quantcast
Too much deburring?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too much deburring?

Too much deburring?

Is there such a thing as overdoing it when it comes to de-burring?

Let's say you're using the felt and cork combo... Will it damage the edge if you continue to de-burr not knowing you cleaned it out already?

-Karlo

One, maybe two swipes on the hard felt does the trick, so why would you keep going?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Sure. Anything will put wear on your edge.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    One, maybe two swipes on the hard felt does the trick, so why would you keep going?
    I'm no expert, but sometimes even if I deburr a couple of times on each side, i feel like it's still there... maybe it's just my lack of experience or maybe the lack of someone showing me in person how everything should be...

Anyway.... just curious... Thanks!

It is an interesting question and one I was thinking of myself. Sometimes it takes me ages to deburr and perhaps it is just me and I think it is there when it isn't. I wonder if a slight wire edge is better than spending far too long deburring? I usually strop on the stone, then strop on a hard felt pad then cut into it, next time I sharpen I'll spend a little less time and see how it goes out of curiosity

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    With stones grit size 600 and down I find it takes much more. I had to fix some damage the other day, used a 120 stone. I had a hard time getting the bur off with the felt block so I went to a copper pipe. I guess a lot of pulls threw felt and or the use of copper pipe will dull the edge but the next stone up (500) will sharpen it up. Buy the time one gets to the eds of a stond progression the bur will be so fine it will come off with stropping.

Well I'm in the process of sharpening a knife made out of W2 and it created a tough ole burr that just laughed at cork and felt. On my Gesshin 400 the burr would just flip back and forth between sides. I then switched to my G2k and the burr just kept hanging on. I ended up raising my angle fairly high and I finally got rid of it.

I usually just leave the burr on. It eventually falls off, usually around 1k but sometimes higher. You just have to make sure you clean your stone when it does or you'll get the crunchy sound.

AAHHHHH that crunchy sound is music to my ears. I like doing the raising the angle really high on the last stone and then lowering it gradually and thinning out again. Works wonders for me, I also like seeing a wire on the stone when I get those I know my edge is spot on.

I like seeing the wire, too but don't you clean it off after you get it?