Quantcast
White Marble Horn for Wa Handles Connoisseurs Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Marble Horn for Wa Handles Connoisseurs Question

White Marble Horn for Wa Handles Connoisseurs Question

This type of horn is very difficult to get and would typically cost me $15-20 per piece. However, it is of much better quality than buffalo horn I can get here in US for $8/roll that can yield 3 ferrule pieces (although most will have some imperfections).

So, I would like to ask you, would be worth to you an upgrade of $15-20 to a high-quality white marble horn?

I would have to buy 15-20 pieces at a time, so it would be helpful to know before placing an order.

Thanks,

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I think it's one of things, it depends. It depends on what wood you put it with. I don't think you can just swap the black horn with the white marble and say it's good to go. It would have to be something with a nice contrast between the ferrule, spacer and handle. Having said that you have good taste and I think you'd come up with the right look. So if the end result looked really killer, what's an extra $20.

I found white horn goes well with dark woods like ebony and lighter like golden ironwood burl. I would not slap it just on any wood, in fact, I approach it very conservatively, but sometimes color compatibility can be just as powerful as a nice contrast. Putting blond horn on ironwood was an eye opener for me.

M

So what exactly does this stuff look like, and what kind of time frame are we talking about?
    Would it go well with, for example, a particular block of ironwood burl, and would it significantly delay fabrication of the knife(s)?
    In the bigger picture, $20 is not so much.

$20 represents less than 5% of the cost of a $500 knife. I hate to say it's inconsequential, but in that context, I think it is.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I would like to just buy a few pieces from you, as I have been unable to get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipcich View Post
    So what exactly does this stuff look like, and what kind of time frame are we talking about?
    Would it go well with, for example, a particular block of ironwood burl, and would it significantly delay fabrication of the knife(s)?
    In the bigger picture, $20 is not so much.
    Steve,
    I got two pieces a while back for evaluation. One will go on your knife, another on one of the knives in my second order. What I got so far, I like. It's very light horn with dark streaks in it. I should have a handle made in a day or two. It will be orange/pink ironwood and this horn. Then I will work on your handle.

I expect to be some variation in colors, but when you buy 20, you get at least 5 really good ones.

There should be no delay, as I pay the asking price.

So let me do this, I will make two D handles with what I have, and then you guys express your opinion.

M

The ironwood handle with a blonde ferrule was in fact amazing.

I agree with most of the other posters, it is all about the overall combination on the handle, not just 1 item like the horn. It all has to come together well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    I agree with most of the other posters, it is all about the overall combination on the handle, not just 1 item like the horn. It all has to come together well.
    Absolutely. Right now I can think of two types of wood that go well with blond horn - ebony and golden color ironwood.