White Marble Horn for Wa Handles Connoisseurs Question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
This type of horn is very difficult to get and would typically cost me $15-20 per piece. However, it is of much better quality than buffalo horn I can get here in US for $8/roll that can yield 3 ferrule pieces (although most will have some imperfections).

So, I would like to ask you, would be worth to you an upgrade of $15-20 to a high-quality white marble horn?

I would have to buy 15-20 pieces at a time, so it would be helpful to know before placing an order.

Thanks,

Marko

I think it's one of things, it depends. It depends on what wood you put it with. I don't think you can just swap the black horn with the white marble and say it's good to go. It would have to be something with a nice contrast between the ferrule, spacer and handle. Having said that you have good taste and I think you'd come up with the right look. So if the end result looked really killer, what's an extra $20.

I found white horn goes well with dark woods like ebony and lighter like golden ironwood burl. I would not slap it just on any wood, in fact, I approach it very conservatively, but sometimes color compatibility can be just as powerful as a nice contrast. Putting blond horn on ironwood was an eye opener for me.

M

So what exactly does this stuff look like, and what kind of time frame are we talking about?
Would it go well with, for example, a particular block of ironwood burl, and would it significantly delay fabrication of the knife(s)?
In the bigger picture, $20 is not so much.

I would like to just buy a few pieces from you, as I have been unable to get any.

So what exactly does this stuff look like, and what kind of time frame are we talking about?
Would it go well with, for example, a particular block of ironwood burl, and would it significantly delay fabrication of the knife(s)?
In the bigger picture, $20 is not so much.

Steve,
I got two pieces a while back for evaluation. One will go on your knife, another on one of the knives in my second order. What I got so far, I like. It's very light horn with dark streaks in it. I should have a handle made in a day or two. It will be orange/pink ironwood and this horn. Then I will work on your handle.

I expect to be some variation in colors, but when you buy 20, you get at least 5 really good ones.

There should be no delay, as I pay the asking price.

So let me do this, I will make two D handles with what I have, and then you guys express your opinion.

M

I agree with most of the other posters, it is all about the overall combination on the handle, not just 1 item like the horn. It all has to come together well.

I agree with most of the other posters, it is all about the overall combination on the handle, not just 1 item like the horn. It all has to come together well.

Absolutely. Right now I can think of two types of wood that go well with blond horn - ebony and golden color ironwood.

I really like it, but you knew this already seeing as I bug you about it everytime I see you. A $15-20 upcharge is fine by me.

That's a cheap price to pay for good quality white marble horn.

I found white horn goes well with dark woods like ebony and lighter like golden ironwood burl. I would not slap it just on any wood, in fact, I approach it very conservatively, but sometimes color compatibility can be just as powerful as a nice contrast. Putting blond horn on ironwood was an eye opener for me.

M

I personally love that look. That's the one customization I always make if it's available. White horn with golden ironwood looking handle.

I would definitely consider a white marble horn ferrule for the custom I will be ordering from you, once you start a new lineup in January.

Did you end up making these Marko? I would love to see pictures if so...

I don't know what the difference is between "blonde" and "white."

It's on my to do list.

Cow horn I have is 1" long. It's too short for ferrule, unless it is used in conjunction with a 1/4 thick metal piece at the tip, like Bob Kramer meiji.

I worked out the construction in my head, now need to make a prototype.

Blond and white horn is basically cow/steer horn. There are different grades of cow horn, and once in a while, literally white horn could be found. Best horn comes from South East Asia. Domestic (US) horn has delamination issues.

M

Back