Water Buffalo Horn

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Metzger

Reaction score
Where can I buy the light colored water buffalo horn? I just like the contrast with some of the darker woods sometimes, Thanks

I think that Jantz usually has has "honey" horn for sale.

I think that Jantz usually has has "honey" horn for sale.

I just purchased a couple rolls of honey horn from Jantz. I have not received them yet but Im curious to see what they look like.

I just purchased a couple rolls of honey horn from Jantz. I have not received them yet but Im curious to see what they look like.

The look brown when you get them, but finish a lighter shade of black. However, if you get lucky, you might get some with white streaks in it.

M

Is there a better place to obtain some quality horn. I'm noticing most of it comes from India, I might have to contact someone there. I also imagine there will be a minimum quanity I can order.

Is there a better place to obtain some quality horn. I'm noticing most of it comes from India, I might have to contact someone there. I also imagine there will be a minimum quanity I can order.

Most horn sold in US will have imperfections. For instance, the last time I bought 40 rolls of honey brown and 40 rolls of black from Jaintz Supply. I kept 14 rolls of brown and 5 rolls of black. Out of 40 rolls of honey brown, there was only one that I would consider a perfect roll, the other had partial or insignificant imperfections.

Horn is sold by grade, like wood, so it is possible to buy quality horn, but I just don't know of any dealer in US how can supply it. If you have a connection in India and can buy at the source, you will pay more, but quality will be better.

M

Hey Marko, I was beginning to think perfect horn was a myth, and you found a piece. Is it the streaking or hairline cracks or both that are getting rejected?

Most horn sold in US will have imperfections. For instance, the last time I bought 40 rolls of honey brown and 40 rolls of black from Jaintz Supply. I kept 14 rolls of brown and 5 rolls of black. Out of 40 rolls of honey brown, there was only one that I would consider a perfect roll, the other had partial or insignificant imperfections.

Horn is sold by grade, like wood, so it is possible to buy quality horn, but I just don't know of any dealer in US how can supply it. If you have a connection in India and can buy at the source, you will pay more, but quality will be better.

M

Back