Quantcast
So many to choose from now... - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So many to choose from now...

i'm still not sure what i'd actually use a tablet for... between a smart phone, a laptop, and a PC at home, I feel like I kinda have the bases covered already... But I'm kind of a luddite that way...

But if I was in the market, I'd be hard-pressed to pay the 2x premium for apple products right now. The Kindle Fire looks decent, and the Blackberry tablets are pretty much being firesale'd right now (and they run flash, and I wouldn't be surprised if they got a good firmware update in the not too distant future).

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Guys, click on the link below and let me know what you think about this offer, I'm considering buying one for my wife's Christmas present:
    http://www.dealfind.com/toronto/dino.../?s=dd-thin&a=
    The deal does look tempting, but I've only had positive experience with the latest and greatest high spec tables from Asus and Samsung.

Personally, i wouldn't buy an off brand "bargain" android tablet without holding it in my hands and checking it out first.

Can sombody explain to me what the main differences are with the Apple and Android? I have seen the android in adds for a couple years now, but never really got into the pros and cons of either much. Is one any better than the other? Or is it more of a "I'm not supporting Apple no matter what!" kinda deal?

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

The difference is really in the user interface. So Apple imho is a fairly regimented system. Apps and functions have to play within a certain system of rules. And nothing NOTHING is allowed to deviate. So basically if you know how to perform a function in one app it will basically apply across the whole platform. Android systems are much more open source. This can be good if you really like digital freedom. But to me in using both was less appealing because the user experience isn't as streamlined.

One is only better than the other if you side heavily one way or the other. So if I was a 14 year old programmer kid who wanted to be able to tweak the **** out of my phone or tablet then Android would be the way I would go. If I am as I am near thirty and I don't want to have to think about it I just want something that perpetually works and is being updated free by the worlds most competent technology/manufacturing company Id go iPad.

My thoughts as well, Apple stuff appeals to those who just want the damn thing to work, and those who like to make the things work don't like them. If you like to fiddle with the hardware don't buy Apple. I get enough hardware fiddling with old style hardware, thankyouverymuch.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

My brother pointed out that Apple actually makes it rather difficult for you to "look under the hood" which is fine by me.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    My thoughts as well, Apple stuff appeals to those who just want the damn thing to work, and those who like to make the things work don't like them. If you like to fiddle with the hardware don't buy Apple. I get enough hardware fiddling with old style hardware, thankyouverymuch.

RIM just announced that their latest and greatest product improvements have been delayed until sometime in 2012. After years of dominance, I detect the stench of death coming out of that company.
    Quote Originally Posted by half_hack View Post
    i'm still not sure what i'd actually use a tablet for... between a smart phone, a laptop, and a PC at home, I feel like I kinda have the bases covered already... But I'm kind of a luddite that way...

But if I was in the market, I'd be hard-pressed to pay the 2x premium for apple products right now. The Kindle Fire looks decent, and the Blackberry tablets are pretty much being firesale'd right now (and they run flash, and I wouldn't be surprised if they got a good firmware update in the not too distant future).

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    RIM just announced that their latest and greatest product improvements have been delayed until sometime in 2012. After years of dominance, I detect the stench of death coming out of that company.
    RIM's problems started when they got beaten down by a patent troll who was aided by a feeble-minded Federal judge who should be removed from the bench.

But I think your analysis is correct.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by PierreRodrigue View Post
    Can sombody explain to me what the main differences are with the Apple and Android? I have seen the android in adds for a couple years now, but never really got into the pros and cons of either much. Is one any better than the other? Or is it more of a "I'm not supporting Apple no matter what!" kinda deal?
    I like Apple products but you have to understand you pay a good deal for their brand. The major difference between the two, for tablets, is price. After having used both extensively I'd buy a Kindle Fire. I just can't justify the extra $300-500 for a slightly smoother UI and a cool logo on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by ******* View Post
    My brother pointed out that Apple actually makes it rather difficult for you to "look under the hood" which is fine by me.
    Until it doesn't work. We've migrated from Micro$oft at work to Apple for the hubby and Linux for me (no pads yet). Apple drives me nuts. If you don't think the way their programmers do, things can be a pain to find. And if you try to interface with non-apple products it can be trouble. Got hubby a Sansa MP3 player, and it puked when songs downloaded via the Apple. Took a while to figure it out--the way Apple stores files (with a hidden file in addition to the music file file) was the culprit. Since Apple is Unix-based, it was possible to write a script to clean up things and get the Sansa working, but it was painful.

+ Reply to Thread