Burl Source, Love it!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
I don't do these very often, but here is a rehandle of a Tojiro Shirogami 210 mm Gyuto. The origional handle was a "D" shaped number with a plastic cap. I knocked it off, and used this fine example of dyed stabilized Maple burl from Burl Source, along with African black wood, white vulcanized fiber, and black paper Micarta spacers and end cap. Some of the pictures I took were so-so, but this one, the figure really did the wood justice! I just had to say Marks stuff is fantastic! Its propped up against a trunk of huge diamond willow! I polished the edge a bit as well.

IMG_3858.jpgIMG_3847.jpg

Well done. I can also attest to the quality of Marks products. In fact I think I may do some shopping there tonight.

Where are you guys getting the African Blackwood?

Very nice-looking handles, Pierre.

Looks great, and I second the Cutting of the willow! lol :)

I to can attest to the awesome woods that Mark sells.. Its very good stuff and I like the way it works!! Its not all plasticy (is that even a word?) it doesnt clog up belts quickly and it polished up beautifully without alot of extra work applying added finishes. etc.. .

Thanks for the kind words guys.
I have a good boss, when I see wood here that I want, he lets me cut it up.
When I find unusual wood from other sources and ask if I can buy it, he says "OK, If you think you can sell it".
K&G always does a good job with the stabilizing.
Sure I do a little bit of the work, but in a nutshell I get to hunt for unusual wood, my boss pays for it and you guys show me pictures when you make something with it. That works for me.

As for Blackwood, I will try to get some during the week. I usually buy a gunny sack full of clarinet reject pieces so I can get blackwood with character at a decent price.

I heard that you might be getting some black paper micarta blocks...is that true?

After excessive peer pressure by one of the forum members (I won't say who, but he looks like a monkey)
I bought some black paper phenolic that I will be cutting up for ferrules.
Before I make any available I will do a bit of destruction testing.

After excessive peer pressure by one of the forum members (I won't say who, but he looks like a monkey)
I bought some black paper phenolic that I will be cutting up for ferrules...
:rofl2: I've had an eerily similar experience recently only I haven't bought the stuff yet...

I bought some black paper phenolic that I will be cutting up for ferrules.
Before I make any available I will do a bit of destruction testing.

Whew, glad I am not the only one asking. (glad I don't look like a monkey too)

Latest posts

Back