Quantcast
Jin Knives... coming soon
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jin Knives... coming soon

Sponsors

Jin Knives... coming soon

We've had one Jin knife on the website since for a little while now. However, for quite some time, we've had about 30 of them in stock in the store. We finally got around to shooting photos of most of the Jin knives we have in stock tonight... we're going to shoot photos of the rest tomorrow night and try to get them all up for sale this weekend or early next week. There are quite a few, so bear with us. Here's a teaser shot to take care of you for the meantime.

What's the price range?

Sponsors
    they start at about $700...

The maker is in his late 80's and is now retired. This is the last of his stock and no new ones will be made. The knives are entirely handmade by him, including the handles, sayas, and boxes (for those that come with wooden boxes). The steel is a high speed tool steel (not stainless).

I've got a few of his knives in my personal collection and would be happy to share my experiences of them over the next couple of days... but right now, i'm going to crash (its a bit after midnight here now)

Isn't this guy somewhat famous in Japan? I've read about his knives somewhere, I recall he was highly regarded by top chefs in Japan and then he retired... ala Doi I think.

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by memorael View Post
    Isn't this guy somewhat famous in Japan? I've read about his knives somewhere, I recall he was highly regarded by top chefs in Japan and then he retired... ala Doi I think.
    might be... i came across him in a slightly different way and decided to carry his knives based on my experiences with him in his workshop, talking to him about his knifemaking philosophy, seeing a bunch of his work, and using (and sharpening) a few of his blades. I didnt really look into his popularity that much to be honest.

Might be a different person the one I am talking about, I can't really recall who it was but people pay around 1k for his knives since they are so well made and since he isn't doing anymore knives well, lets just say his reputation is top notch.

BTW does the knife farthest to the right have a bevel on the spine? just noticed it looks very sword like. I haven't seen that before and it looks sexy.

Sponsors
    Its not sharp, but it is a bevel... looks really cool. I've been thinking about keeping one for myself, but i already have a couple of other ones from him.

Eow!

interesting ferrules, a great story, and a false edge on a gyuto?? These are so cool! My new background.

I wish I could justify the cost. Unfortunately, I don't know what I'd do with a yanigiba. I guess there's only one expensive way to find out...

+ Reply to Thread