like/dislike

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
What do you guys think of this combo. buffalo horn handle, honduran rosewood spacer, green camel bone ferrule

IMG_0805.jpg

Mike,
+ 1 on the interesting materials.
I think the spacer gets kind of lost, but as you know I always like a little "flash"!

Glen

I think it's interesting, but not really my cup o' tea.

There's really nothing I like about that handle. It doesn't look clean. The horn part might work with other ferrules and spacers...

I think the handle and spacer look absolutely great, but the ferrule kind of just sticks out. Like dijon mustard on... steak.

I like it. I'm a wood guy but thinks it looks really cool.

I really like it, its very naturalistic and sculptural. Not sure your photo shows it off as nicely as it could. I guess it needs to be on the right knife.

Here's a slightly better pic out in the sunlight

I really like it, its very naturalistic and sculptural. Not sure your photo shows it off as nicely as it could. I guess it needs to be on the right knife.

IMG_0814.jpg

I think this handle is one of those things that you need to hold it and look at it for a while and study it. The second picture puts a more positive light on it.

Wow, what a difference, I really like it. Have you got a knife in mind?

It turned out a little undersized for the knife I was making it for. Think it would be perfect for a 165ish nakiri, that I dont have at the moment. I guess I gonna have to remedy that

Wow, what a difference, I really like it. Have you got a knife in mind?

Great work! :thumbsup:

I like it... a lot, much better pic.
My personal nit might be a different color spacer- perhaps black, or not one at all.

Camel bone is great stuff.
It's becoming a popular alternative to the ever increasing price and diminishing supply of India sambar stag (embargo).
It can be dyed to about whatever color you can want.

Perhaps for some, the materials used here don't have an "Asian" feel about them?
That said, maybe your combo would also work real nice on a BB'Q type knife (criollo/gaucho) or utensil, as well as, that rustic nakiri...

I like it:thumbsup: I have always liked the creative stuff over the classical,I guess it's the pimp in me:wink:

I still don't like the color scheme. If I was gonna do the horn, I'd maybe make it horn-bone-horn or something. As it is, it looks a little Frankenstein-ish.

I think if the buffalo horn was jigged or brushed it might look better. I do like it though.

Most folks don't get in on the camel bone, but I think this looks cool, but the rosewood does get lost

Most folks don't get in on the camel bone, but I think this looks cool, but the rosewood does get lost
There is a bit of a prejudice against camel and giraffe bone amongst many in the knife world. I think it is because of the weird dyed colors much like some of the stabilized wood.

Back