Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pro Kitchen Work Horse Knife

Pro Kitchen Work Horse Knife

What did you guys use to use, and what are you using now? Which knife (if any) has been consistently a good performer and why?

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Engorged Member
    Devin Thomas mystery steel carbon gyuto. All the things you could want in a work knife...long lasting edge, great profile and thin behind the edge, and patinaed so it doesn't look like much. Chef Niloc has it now and I am waiting to see if he feels the same.

Hiramoto AS 240mm gyuto. Great sharpening properties but with enough heft behind the blade to really run it hard in the kitchen. I got a Devin 240mm AEB-L before the price increase but have yet to commit it to a life of hard labor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    What did you guys use to use, and what are you using now? Which knife (if any) has been consistently a good performer and why?

M
    My favorite for years was and old 9inch carbon Sabatier one of the originals from the late 1870's, Then I switched to a hundred year old Carbon Henckels, Then a 240mm Hiromoto Hc. Now I'm rotating the set Randy made me and a set that Del made me in AEB-L. Hopefully, I can add a Marko set to my list one day.

The thing that I love about them is there ease of sharpening and ability to attain super insanely sharp edges, even the old vintage ones. I love the triangular profile of the Sabatier and even the older Henckels had a similar triangular profile, not like today's German knives. I can't explain why I love the Hiromoto, I just do. It's still early to tell if I Randy's or Del's will be a great love affair. Right now I am crushing pretty bad though.

I have been using a John Jones cleaver (bullet proof) for most of my veggie prep, plus some chicken. And as much as I hate to admit it, my Carter 7.9 sun funyaki, which at the beginnig I did not care for, it right up there for usage.

If I go anywhere near the line I use my Fuji 240 FKH (The carter tip is too fragile.)

I have no doubt that my DT's would perform miraculously, but I am over protective of them so I keep them at home, the San Mai gyuto is my number 1 at home, which still gets used pretty hard at home.

When I get one of yours (AMT) it will get a proper workout in both kitchens.

interesting question Marko

I dt itk is a good go to for a work horse recently, I used to use a masamoto western gytuo quite a bit. I also have used my konosuke white 1 as a work horse. I like all of them and some others.

Henckels to a Mac, to a Takeda, to a Konosuke HD as my most recent go-to knife... lots of others in between, but these are the stand outs through the years.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

27cm JCK Carbonext. Was an awesome knife when I got it and still is. I've since switched primarily to cleavers and go between a sugimoto #6 and a Hattori FH. Personally I prefer the profile on the Sugimoto, but the Hattori does take a great edge, holds it and is surprisingly easy to sharpen for VG-10.

Got a new gyuto coming from Aframes soon though, so this may change again

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    Devin Thomas mystery steel carbon gyuto. All the things you could want in a work knife...long lasting edge, great profile and thin behind the edge, and patinaed so it doesn't look like much. Chef Niloc has it now and I am waiting to see if he feels the same.
    All that's true.
    I thought it was just a carbon ITK at first, I commented that it put holes in hoss's statement that his stainless out performs carbon, then he told me it wasn't just a carbon ITK. So the knife passed a blinded test, supper fine totally carbon edge....great knife.

To answer the question of what did I use back in te day:
    For the first 10 years of my pro life I used a set of Thiers-Issard's a cheep Chinese cleaver and a yanagi that i still to this day have no idea who made it. I got it at korin in 1990 payed $195.00 for it. So as far as the test of time goes I'd say they held up pretty well.

And I still stand true to my statement that my Burke Suji is the best performing kitchen knife in the world, beats other Burks.

Out of all the cleavers I have had I hate to say it but M.C. Has made the best.

Hiromoto AS is cheap and good. Everything is quite decent in that knife.

Misono Swedish is even better, the grind and thickness beats hiro in my opinion. I like it better.
    That is why ive made my hiro go on diet.