Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro Kitchen Work Horse Knife

I'm not a pro, but back when I worked at the restaurant, Sabs were the stars, with Fibrox Forschners and no name cleavers getting honorable mention.
    As far as a factory knife is concerned, I'd give Misono Swedes my vote, but I never used mine in that setting, so I can't be sure. Toughness ability to get toothy sharp go a long way.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Just a sentimental thank you. When I bought my first set out of culinary school (the Thiers-Issard 's) there was Ltd. Ed. Gilles Reynewaeter Diamant/ Flower Set that I really wanted but could not afford, $1000 for the set. I from time to time over the years looked for them to pop up on eBay. Last night after reading this post it prompted me to check out eBay. What do you know, found them. I know these are hardly "the best knives" and will become my first set of draw queens, but it's a sentimental thing.
    Thank you
    Colin

I've been thinking about this, too.

Considering either a Moritaka or Zakuri in AS. Anyone have measurements or comments about those choices? Is AS a good steel choice for this type of workhorse knife?

I recently made the switch from a Moritaka 240mm blue #2 to a Konosuke HD 240mm as my main knife and couldn't be happier.
    I'd recommend the HD to anyone in a pro environment.Super thin,sharpens up real nice and keeps it's edge even after hours of abuse on a crappy poly board.No patina or discolouration or transfer of odors or flavours and it's virtually stainless(unlike my Moritaka).

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    I recently made the switch from a Moritaka 240mm blue #2 to a Konosuke HD 240mm as my main knife and couldn't be happier.
    I'd recommend the HD to anyone in a pro environment.Super thin,sharpens up real nice and keeps it's edge even after hours of abuse on a crappy poly board.No patina or discolouration or transfer of odors or flavours and it's virtually stainless(unlike my Moritaka).
    How does HD fare doing a large amount of prep cutting? Wouldn't a thicker knife be a better choice for an all-around knife (I understand these are personal preferences)? I handled HD briefly (didn't cut with it) but in my recollection, it was a very thin and light knife, even for 270mm length. In my mind it was more a task-specific (great cutter, more control etc) knife than an all-around knife.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Honestly,it blows me away every time I use her.Because she's so I thin I initially though I'd have to baby her,but I was wrong,From hard butternut squash to tuna loin without batting an eye.A very robust knife indeed.

I recently bought a 270 Western Konosuke HD and I like it a lot. I have read the Western is a little thicker than the wa and if so I am glad I got the Western, it seems about perfect to me. Not too thick or thin. It sorta reminds me of my Masamoto KS in how well it cuts but I think the edge retention is much much better and of course I don't have to look after it so well. I have been using it and a 210 petty for a while now and it's the perfect combo for me

Is it a lefty version?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Is it a lefty version?
    Am I right (ha!) in thinking a lefty version would have a slightly more convex left face than the right? I tried for ages to take a photo and my phone is incapable. I am not sure to be honest, it could be but Ill try and take a photo tomorrow with a better camera. I am a lefty and I haven't really noticed one way or the other

For me I find that carbon/stainless works well. Kind of the best of both worlds.