Quantcast
Pro Kitchen Work Horse Knife - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro Kitchen Work Horse Knife

I would've thought I'd heard more tkc clone, carbonext or massamoto ks comments. And though I do love my Kono HD I don't like walking the board with her. I can hear the edge crying out to me. I sharpen her 90/10 though so maybe it's me.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Seems like Hiromoto, Konosuke and Sabatier are leading the charge. Interesting.

-AJ

"And though I do love my Kono HD I don't like walking the board with her."
    Interesting comment.I let my boss use my Kono to chop some herbs the other day(a moment of weakness),and I was cringing the whole time she was using it.I could hear the edge crying out to me as well .
    With a blade so thin there's a slight learning curve(for me anyway).A lighter touch is called for with this lady...

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Seems like Hiromoto, Konosuke and Sabatier are leading the charge. Interesting.

-AJ
    Interesting indeed as I use all three as my regular work knives.

Ichimonji TKC 270mm, with rounded choil and spine. It has perfect balance, thinness, takes a great edge, stays sharp and has a great profile that allows me to use it for slicing instead of switching off to a suji.

Luckily I have enough room to use a 270 as my go to knife.

In recent years I've gone from a "10 Forschner Chef to "10 wusthoff Classic, then a "9.5 Mac Pro Chef, then a 240mm Hiromoto AS Gyuto then to what I have used the last 1.5 years, my 240mm Mizuno Tanrejo hontranen Gyuto. It is simply the BEST work horse there is.

The Misono Swedish is also very very thin behing the edge and not so much more thick at the spine.

Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    "And though I do love my Kono HD I don't like walking the board with her."
    Interesting comment.I let my boss use my Kono to chop some herbs the other day(a moment of weakness),and I was cringing the whole time she was using it.I could hear the edge crying out to me as well .
    With a blade so thin there's a slight learning curve(for me anyway).A lighter touch is called for with this lady...
    Yes i find that this will ruin my edge pretty fast as well. Also i have a rougher touch when chopping so i tend to have to touch my HD up more often than id like. Also find the 240 a bit too flexible for certain things like rutabageas and butternut squash. If it was a tad thicker it would be the perfect knife. Currently looking at another option, Heiji, or a custom.

I used to use a Susin Inox honyaki, the knife with a king 6k edge would do all the things I wanted it too in a days shift. I sharpened every night but if for some reason I didn't the knife lasted about 3 shifts to my standards. Then I would sharpen again.

misono sweedish, i got my gyuto almost 4 years ago, its still my go to knife.