Meat Math..? for the pros

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim

Founding Member
Reaction score
Gent's
How many people would a 18 lb prime rib roast feed? Not sure because of the bone how to sort it out.

Thanks.

Gent's
How many people would a 18 lb prime rib roast feed? Not sure because of the bone how to sort it out.

Thanks.

Me.

On a one-night-feast and a three-day sandwich bender... :hungry:

Sorry that I couldn't have been of more help.

and ladies...

Everything I've seen is 3/4-1 lb/person. Or 1 rib for 2 people...

So 18-24 people, in theory. (Not a pro. But not a gent, either. :biggrin:)

if i remember Julia said 1 rib per 2 people.. google how much rib roast per person and a quick review leads me to believe about 1 pound person after shrinkage , trimming of fat and bone you should be left with approx 8 0z per person,, BEware i am not a pro

Thanks, I have 20 for dinner and this one has 8 ribs so I am going to head back to Restaurant Depot for another one, :dazed:

How many are ladies? I tend towards a man a rib, but ladies are usually 2 to a rib. I have a 6 rib roast that will feed 8.

How many are ladies? I tend towards a man a rib, but ladies are usually 2 to a rib. I have a 6 rib roast that will feed 8.
I'm not a pro but this is the calculation I use more or less.

The only photo I had from Christmas Dinner-

Well at least it is a good one!

How many #s of meat did you end up with and did you have enough?

Yep- just enough for leftovers for myself and my bride. I did not weigh the roasts after I trimmed them up but it was 26+ pounds with bones easily.

Just saw this thread and it has made me feel a proper glutton, I'll do a standing 4 rib roast for me and the missus on a sunday and there's barely enough leftover for sandwiches the next day.......

Just saw this thread and it has made me feel a proper glutton, I'll do a standing 4 rib roast for me and the missus on a sunday and there's barely enough leftover for sandwiches the next day.......

Well, at Xmas I was reminded of the quote....I'm not finished eating when I'm full, I'm finished when I hate myself. ;-)

Back