I think I found the stone for those eBay Kramers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wsfarrell

Banned
Reaction score
This Nakayama is from 330mate, and is selling for $17,600.

There are mineral inclusions, but don't worry: they're safe, and will disappear after the stone is worn down 6mm (I guess he took x-rays).

Yow!

I blanched when I first heard about the $3-4000 stones!!!!!!

Stone so good, you dont even have to use it to have your knives sharp

Wow.

I usually stay away from naturals, but still can't avoid them sometimes...

http://blog-imgs-45.fc2.com/t/s/u/tsune36/DSC00584.jpg

The Nakayama tomae on the bottom left of that picture is sitting in my spare room right now.

Nice stone, unbranded, but with an unquestionable pedigree all the same.

(That reads that if the stone was anything other than described, the seller would be run out of Kyoto on a pole.)

I think I'll stay happy with my garden variety man made stuff for now.

But I do get sorely tempted at times...

(And very nearly added something else from that picture to my spare room, where it would stay until I wanted to use it myself. :) )

Stu.

Wow.

I usually stay away from naturals, but still can't avoid them sometimes...

http://blog-imgs-45.fc2.com/t/s/u/tsune36/DSC00584.jpg

The Nakayama tomae on the bottom left of that picture is sitting in my spare room right now.

Nice stone, unbranded, but with an unquestionable pedigree all the same.

(That reads that if the stone was anything other than described, the seller would be run out of Kyoto on a pole.)

I think I'll stay happy with my garden variety man made stuff for now.

But I do get sorely tempted at times...

(And very nearly added something else from that picture to my spare room, where it would stay until I wanted to use it myself. :) )

Stu.
is that 330mate stone?

@ OP
that guy sells a ton of junk stones, he basically finds them at abandoned quarries and calls them all nakayamas, with some exceptions.
The stones are full with lines and inclusions, tottal crap. Many many people have been burned by his low quality junk.

When dealing with naturals it is best to buy from a reputable seller to know what you are getting.

Interesting that the second youtube video in the link shows him slashing his wrist !!

Not a good sign for a seller generally

is that 330mate stone?

Absolutely not.

(Dang near insulting that is! ;) )

The stones are at Tsunesaburo, a Japanese plane maker. I asked if they could find a natural stone matched to a 70mm wide tamahagane plane blade they made up for me specially, and that's what they picked up, trying most of the larger stones to find the best match. I got offered 3 different stones, with suggestions on what each was like, told them what the ultimate owner already has and what they were after, end decision was the tomae.

If it came from nearly anyone else, I'd be asking serious questions about it's origins.

From Tsunesaburo, no questions needed. Their reputation is without peer, and nobody would be stupid enough to sell them junk.

I'm not stupid enough to call their choice into question, and only offered a simple "thank you very much" for their help.

(For the record, I think I've met the fellow who runs 330mate. I don't think he likes me very much, but I could be wrong.)

Stu.

Back