Quantcast
Tipping a bad server?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping a bad server?

Tipping a bad server?

Last Wednesday before the Joe Bonamassa concert, my inlaws and the spouse and I had dinner at a restaurant in the local Hilton called Porto Terra. The server seemed to loose interest in us when we were not ready to order on her first pass by. Eventually we got her over to take our order and I ordered a hamburger, a 13 buck sandwich with a glowing description. She asked what cheese I wanted, and listed a variety of choices. Here in Portland we take our burgers seriously and have access to some fine cheese options. I asked what sort of cheddar they had and she said "yellow". She was serious.
    My SIL ordered a sparkling water, and after asking for it twice without getting it she told her to forget it. This seemed to make the server angry, and she called my SIL rude to another worker in earshot of us. Someone who acted like a supervisor eventually brought the water. We would have had another bottle of wine, butt she never checked to see if we wanted more.
    My question is what tip would be appropriate in a situation like this? My BIL gave her 10%, I thought that was overly generous.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

I think 10% is fine. I don't believe in stiffing servers. I think 10% still sends a message.

-AJ

I think 10% was too much. She didn't provide even adequate service. Maybe 0-5%, and a brief conversation with the supervisor as to why the tip was minimal.

Poor service poor tip.

Great service great tip.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I always give 20%, but if they f-up the booze, I subtract that from the total and tip 20% w/o booze. If they really screw up it is 20% on food only without tax.

I use my order to adjust tips, but I never go lower than 10%. I always assume they may have had a bad day, and 10% total is rock bottom.

Btw, I also do a few other enhancements: If the service is really good I leave 20% on the check and extra 'pocketable' cash in the book. If someone in my party shorts them on a tip, I call, get the name of the waitress and mail them them extra cash. I have only done this a few times, but once a waitress actually wrote me a thank you back. That was odd.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I'd have given them a very small tip because if the food and everything else was nice then it wasn't all bad, but probably not as much as 10%. It is sorta hard to know though because in a lot of places the tips go to everyone and in some it is just servers/waiting staff.

I think the 10% was quite generous, but then I realize the standard tip % is higher in some places than others.
    Len

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, if something was wrong, I usually (very politely) tell the server if the timing is right. If they take it well and are gracious and seem to understand, they get the whole 20%. If they cop a 'tude, they are screwed for sure. And if that doesn't go well, I just let my infant crawl around on the floor with jelly and some crumbly cornbread

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I always give 20%, but if they f-up the booze, I subtract that from the total and tip 20% w/o booze. If they really screw up it is 20% on food only without tax.

I use my order to adjust tips, but I never go lower than 10%. I always assume they may have had a bad day, and 10% total is rock bottom.

Btw, I also do a few other enhancements: If the service is really good I leave 20% on the check and extra 'pocketable' cash in the book. If someone in my party shorts them on a tip, I call, get the name of the waitress and mail them them extra cash. I have only done this a few times, but once a waitress actually wrote me a thank you back. That was odd.

k.
    +1

I usually tip 20-25%. Since I am a repeat customer almost every where I go, I get phenomenal service. My motto is, "My goal is to be your favorite customer."

Personally I think it is a crappy job, I know I'd hate it, so I cannot see less than 10%.

BTW, I have never had good service and rarely good food in any restaurant attached to a hotel.

-AJ

I don't tip shyte service. Sorry, but if you are a notice able pain in the arse, you get no money.

+ Reply to Thread