Quantcast
Tipping a bad server? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tipping a bad server?

Ehh, tip whatever you want. Most waitresses, especially if they are bad to begin with, will just assume you are being cheap if you tip less than 15-18%. I have never once heard one say "I only got 10%, I think I will have to be more attentive next time!". They don't take it as a notice that they did a poor job. The good ones who are having an off day will usually be very gracious and apologetic, trying to remedy every mistake and will know they messed up before the tip amount comes.

Even though I find most of them to be whiny, overpaid, lazy, ungrateful and greedy (the ones I know I mean, I usually can't tell this from being waited on by one, haha), I still usually tip 15-20% because the tips don't just go to them, they go to support staff and bartenders, etc.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I had horrible service at a reputable steak house. Having been in there a few times, i enjoyed some great food and drink, but one night it all went bad. I had a waitress bring me someone else's food...twice in a row. They weren't even busy. She brought me the wrong drink...And i ended up getting cold food. Then when she asked if everything was ok( in a very uninterested manner) i told her no. She got upset and brought the supervisor to talk to me. She told him i was being rude...He watched the whole thing...I was pretty jovial(libations) and he saw that. She got huffy and said "screw this" and went out for a smoke...I tipped her 2 cents...If i get good service i will tip well...If not, you get what i think your service was worth, usually not much at all.

I'm generally an understanding, repeat customer and a generous tipper, esp. because I have little kids but I won't tip poor service and I take every opportunity to give feedback to the owner whether it's good or bad.

I like good service and I get angry when I don't get it. I take it out on tips . Never out on the server.

I start by knowing I'll give 15-20 percent (depending on party and bill size). Every time the server does something to annoy me I drop a percent. If it manages to hit 10 percent I give about 5.

I worked as a server during uni, and you work for the tips, the people you're serving owe you nothing. Maybe a cynical few, but hey, its mine

honestly, i have no solid system for it. Generally its about 20% +/- . If i had a great time, i may throw in a few bucks more. If the service sucked, i've been known to leave nothing. If i'm really pissed, i'll leave whatever pennies i have on hand just cause its a pain in the ass to deal with. When a restaurant comps me something, i tend to make up for it in the tip.

20-25% for great service... which I've done exactly once since moving to Seattle (in four years of dining out). 15% for average, getting the job done (which means they are attentive and don't mess up). 10% for Ok service (this happens more than I'd like), gaffs here are things like: forgetting drinks/food, getting drink and proceeding to have us sit there for 35 minutes to order food, etc. 5% for very poor service (think the latter category, multiple times!). 0% for rude and something utterly absurd happens without apology or attempt to make amends.

I will say that Seattle has no waitressing wage. When I moved form NY waitressing wage was about $3.50 an hour, plus tips. Here, everyone earn $8.67 an hour -- with the chance for a bonus or not. If I tip in the 0-5% category I will always speak to a manager, as well as the 20-25% tip range, but for very different reasons.

In my case it depends what I am doing there and how much service I need. For example at buffets, I will tip 15% usually thats what I leave. If it is a big party then its 18% or more. If I get really good service like, wow they were on top of it all I will leave a lot more depending on how happy I leave. If they piss me off, I will usually call the manager or whoever is in charge and unleash hell. I have always believed that there is no excuse for half assed jobs and I just don't tolerate that.

I hate to be the barer of bad news, but these days 20% is average. EVERY server considers 15% as a poor tip. Remember, severs make 100% of the earnings through tipping. Their $2.33 hourly rate is quickly ate up in taxes, and they rarely receive a check of any real monetary value.

For bad service, I communicate the issues to the server, and tell them "I am tipping you 20%, It would have been higher without these issues".

For good service, I tip up to 25%; For outstanding service, I will tip 30% or more.....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I also hate it when a restaurant thinks they are fixing a problem by "comping" part of your bill. This is shameful , and insinuates you are a cheapskate looking for a deal.

The proper response is to make NO excuse, apologize, and FIX the problem.

The free dessert doesn't make up for my chicken being burnt....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I'm not so quick to reduce my tip as I used to be, now that I have two daughters working as waitresses to make ends meet while trying to find jobs in their fields.

Some customers really are just cheap. One of my sisters-in-law and her spouse was a case in point. You know the type. They'd tell the server "one check," and then would calculate their share to the penny (leaving out shared appetizers and tax) and would throw cash on the table sufficient to leave the server a 5% tip. After a while it became separate checks always, though I'd leave extra for the server. Then there's the guy who thought he was a stud, and was badgering one of my daughters for her phone number after leaving her $3 on a $70 bill (she worked at one of those trendy places that was really popular with young people who wanted to hang out there but couldn't really afford to eat there). After putting up with him for a while she told him in front of the whole table that she only dates guys who have enough money to leave a tip.

I generally consider 20% the norm, and often will go higher for very good service. That being said, I'll drop to 15% for indifferent or mildly neglectful service, and won't hesitate to go lower on those rare instances where I've been made to feel a server was in effect flipping me the bird. Sometimes it's hard though to distinguish between the overworked, the clueless and the simply not very bright on one hand, and the server who's terrible service is willful.
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread