Quantcast
Tipping a bad server? - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tipping a bad server?

They get what they give....
    0-10%=bad,surly, unapologetic service
    20% +=great, attitude free service

When I was younger, my mother worked as a waitress and the average tipping % servers in the USA get are a helluva lot higher than the average here north of the border. 10% is standard for good service, and 20% is practically unheard of unless someone's trying to show off or pick up the waitress.

I heard a lot of stories of cheapskate customers who give 0%-5% even though service was very attentive (and the restaurant claims back 3% from the servers regardless of the tip level).

I gotta say your servers have it better than in other places

Having parents who worked in service positions as a kid, I learned the importance of tipping for good service - but there's no way I'm giving even close to 10% for bad service.
    Len

Just tell them that you are German and you thought service was included in the price.

I tip 20-30% for great service. If service was bad I'll leave a 10% tip.

One time my friends and I went to our usual Sunday morning breakfast and bloody mary hangout, but we made the mistake of going on a Saturday night for dinner. Our usual waitress wasn't working that night and this new lady had a chip on her shoulder from the beginning. She tried to charge my friend when he ordered water (something we've never done, as it's just an old, quiet dive) and was generally very rude and inattentive to our needs. We overheard one of the bartenders telling her, "I don't know what you're talking about... these kids come here every week and are always very friendly and order a bunch of food and drinks and tip well." Most of us didn't tip, those that did just left pocket change on the table. She literally grabbed some of the coins off the table, ran out the door and threw them at us.

Despite all this, we went back the next morning for our usual Sunday morning bloody mary and our usual waitress brought us our first round on the house and in pint glasses (as opposed to the smaller glasses they usually use). She apologized profusely and had a lot of not-so-nice things to say about our waitress from the night before.

I always thought this was funny.

Name:  011705_cc_bick.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  21.0 KB

In case you can't read it, the guy subtracted 10% from his bill and signed the ticket "Serivice Sucked." Of course, he was still charged the full amount, but without a tip.

When I get poor service, I call them on it. There are ways to tell your server that their service sucked without offending them. I understand people have bad days but that "bad day" attitude has to be shelved when the server is taking care of patrons. In the end though I generally tip 15% unless I great service. I figure that as the years go by, the amount on the check goes up so the amount represented by the 15% tip goes up.

Quote Originally Posted by mateo View Post
    I will say that Seattle has no waitressing wage. When I moved form NY waitressing wage was about $3.50 an hour, plus tips. Here, everyone earn $8.67 an hour -- with the chance for a bonus or not.
    Maybe that explains some of the service we've encountered. The restaurants in the Seattle area have some of the WORST service we've ever encountered--with a few notable exceptions. When we get good service we leave 20% or more. We leave 10-15% of the service is slack, but knowing that the waitstaff is making minimum wage might cause us to revise that downward a bit.

"I understand people have bad days but that "bad day" attitude has to be shelved when the server is taking care of patrons"

+1

Generally speaking, people who have worked in restaurants tend to be better tippers and more understanding of service issues than the average person. I've worked both FOH and BOH and my wife managed and tended bar and if service sucks we'll ask, indirectly, if there's a problem. Well before 20% was the norm, we've left that amount, or more.

In about 35 years of leaving tips I can pretty much remember the few times I left no or a very low tip. The server was most always a medalist for the World D!ckhead Olympics. While dining we were cordial, because getting irritated during a meal gives me the heebie jeebies they might mess with my food.

Servers are at the mercy of the BOH, management and the customers. It's a tough gig selling food and serving it, unsure what your pay will be. SpikeC's situation probably warranted 10%.

The call that the "Pan Am' smile.
    Quote Originally Posted by shankster View Post
    "I understand people have bad days but that "bad day" attitude has to be shelved when the server is taking care of patrons"

+1

On the other end of the spectrum, once a week 2 of my sisters and a cousin of ours meet for shuffleboard at a local tavern, and the barmaid that is usually there drinks us our drinks when she sees us coming. She is attentive and sometimes fills in when we need a forth to play. I generally have a couple of PBRs and spend a total of 4 bucks, so the tip should be 80 cents, right? I generally leave 2 bucks, so that is 50%. How do you guys tip at a bar?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread