D. Martell Question about rehandle duplication

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DwarvenChef

Reaction score
8005-4-01.png

Yes I know this is not a high end or really usable knife but it is special to me. Workes great for cutting cheese slices that I like :p I would like to upgrade it's bland exterior with a new dress but worry that the new handle with not fit as well as this one currently does.

So my question is, Can you duplicate the patern of handle that is currently on this above knife. I'd be looking for a wood with a similar density as the plastic on it now because this knife really feels good in hand, aside from being a funky plastic feeling lol

Yes, you can duplicate that. Just attach you new scales and start sanding. I don't have a lot of experiance, but it seems like maple and ironwood are heavier when stabilized, but redwood seems lighter and may be able to most accurately match the weight of the existing scales. Fun project, good luck.

Hi DC,
As Matt pointed out the new scales can be made to match the old scales pretty much exactly in profile and that using a lighter type of wood will be the option you'd want to go with. A couple of other things that come to my mind is that all stabilized woods are somewhat heavy and will change the balance of the knife (a knife of this small size specifically) to some degree. Also, what I can't see from this picture is if this is full tang or not and if not how does the current handle fit up on the blade? This little detail can change everything.

So then does the wood scales touch each other in the front near the blade or not at all?

Then it's pretty straight forward I would think. Getting the correct wood might be the challenge here.

DC,

Put some sweet Butch micarta on that bad boy! Who cares what anyone thinks.

-Chuck

I know it would! THats why I said it. I have been trying to get one of those off of you for a while! My harner collection is slowly getting larger then yours though.... (maybe not as nice but soon enough)

-Chuck

Latest posts

Back