Quantcast
Lets talk GRILLS!!! BBQ grills that is!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk GRILLS!!! BBQ grills that is!

Lets talk GRILLS!!! BBQ grills that is!

Hey everyone. Its been a long winter, and I am Sooo ready for spring.

I have been grilling for about 13 years on the same large webber grill. This thing has been used and abused. I have rolled it out on the beach more times then I can remember. Its been used as primary grill at my house for over 10 years. Its been taken it to a few tailgate party's.. Its been a great cooker. That said. Its finally time to replace it.

We picked up a nice gas grill last spring. Its a HUGE beastly looking stainless thing with a smoker on one side and a single burner blah blah blah. The smoker side works good. as does the grill and burner. BUT, Bottom line is Its not a real grill. Yes, In a pinch it will cook a burger or grill some corn. Yes I can slow cook on the smoker side. and have with very good results. BUT its not a real grill! And forget about taking it with ya to the beach or camping etc.

So lets talk about Grills for a second. I have enjoyed the Large Webber and overall its a good design that works. Its portable and tears down and sets up easy.
    I have also seen talk about the Big Green Egg grill and wanted to know what makes it so much better then say a Webber?

I am also open to other suggestions. or info that may be helpful to myself or others in there next grill purchase..

Stay sharp and thanks for your input guys!
    Randy

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Quote Originally Posted by HHH Knives View Post
    Hey everyone. Its been a long winter, and I am Sooo ready for spring.

I have been grilling for about 13 years on the same large webber grill. This thing has been used and abused. I have rolled it out on the beach more times then I can remember. Its been used as primary grill at my house for over 10 years. Its been taken it to a few tailgate party's.. Its been a great cooker. That said. Its finally time to replace it.

We picked up a nice gas grill last spring. Its a HUGE beastly looking stainless thing with a smoker on one side and a single burner blah blah blah. The smoker side works good. as does the grill and burner. BUT, Bottom line is Its not a real grill. Yes, In a pinch it will cook a burger or grill some corn. Yes I can slow cook on the smoker side. and have with very good results. BUT its not a real grill! And forget about taking it with ya to the beach or camping etc.

So lets talk about Grills for a second. I have enjoyed the Large Webber and overall its a good design that works. Its portable and tears down and sets up easy.
    I have also seen talk about the Big Green Egg grill and wanted to know what makes it so much better then say a Webber?

I am also open to other suggestions. or info that may be helpful to myself or others in there next grill purchase..
    Randy -

What do you want to know about a BGE? I've had an XL BGE for two years and cook on it at least every other week.

I'll start by offering this info. If you want to transport a BGE, you will need either a table with casters, or a nest handler. The standard nest is not stable enough for regular transportation because the eggs are heavy.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Thats the stuff I want to know. How it compares not only in cooking, which is very important, But in how these travel. How they hold up to use, long term/short term.

I do plan to take the grill with me at least a few times a year. possibly more. so this aspect is important to me. May not be nearly as important to others.

Im OK with getting another Webber. There great! Yet also always looking for something new or better.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Randy -

A lot of the answer has to do with how you want to cook on the grill. I have a BGE, and they have many strengths. In many ways they are the most versatile. You can grill high heat, go low and slow, smoke, and make pizza to name a few. However, in my experience, it's not the best at any one thing. It's very good at grilling meats - you can quickly go from a high sear to low and slow and back again. And it uses much less charcoal than other grills. It's pretty good at smoking, but not as precise or as easy to control as a dedicated smoker. People swear by pizza with it....but I think it's only passable. As for portability for tailgating, camping etc.....it's honestly not. A large weighs over 150 lbs without the nest. I can pick it up and get it into my truck, but it's not fun. And the shape makes it very tippy. I've transported mine a couple of times, but don't anymore for the reasons stated.

If a 'grill' to you means cooking over a flame, then I highly recommend the Cajun Grill. It's better than the BGE for a high heat sear, or a quick flame to veggies, breads and already cooked meats. It's equal to the BGE for going low and slow to a point. If you want to go real low temps, the BGE is far better. The Cajun website will talk about smoking etc., but if you want all purpose, the BGE is better.

Having said all of that, when we go camping, or to the ocean etc., I bring a Webber. So much easier to carry, and a tried and true design that does a lot of things well. And a lot less expensive.

Any questions about this feel free to ask!

I will add that a BGE is really good if you want to cook for long periods of time and if you want to cook during cold temperatures.

I think there are several key issues to consider before deciding what to buy.

What do you intend to cook?
    How long do you intend to cook and at what temps?
    How much do you want to be able to cook?
    How transportable of a cooker do you want?
    And what fuels do you want to be able to use?
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Namaxy View Post
    Randy -

A lot of the answer has to do with how you want to cook on the grill. I have a BGE, and they have many strengths. In many ways they are the most versatile. You can grill high heat, go low and slow, smoke, and make pizza to name a few. However, in my experience, it's not the best at any one thing. It's very good at grilling meats - you can quickly go from a high sear to low and slow and back again. And it uses much less charcoal than other grills. It's pretty good at smoking, but not as precise or as easy to control as a dedicated smoker. People swear by pizza with it....but I think it's only passable. As for portability for tailgating, camping etc.....it's honestly not. A large weighs over 150 lbs without the nest. I can pick it up and get it into my truck, but it's not fun. And the shape makes it very tippy. I've transported mine a couple of times, but don't anymore for the reasons stated.

If a 'grill' to you means cooking over a flame, then I highly recommend the Cajun Grill. It's better than the BGE for a high heat sear, or a quick flame to veggies, breads and already cooked meats. It's equal to the BGE for going low and slow to a point. If you want to go real low temps, the BGE is far better. The Cajun website will talk about smoking etc., but if you want all purpose, the BGE is better.

Having said all of that, when we go camping, or to the ocean etc., I bring a Webber. So much easier to carry, and a tried and true design that does a lot of things well. And a lot less expensive.

Any questions about this feel free to ask!
    Neal -

Which Cajun Grill do you have?
    Michael

I just got one of the medium sized Konro grills, the same as Korin stocks & its awesome! Can't beat the flavour you get from cooking over good charcoal (Queensland gidgee). It's quite portable, and looks awesome
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

I will add that a BGE is really good if you want to cook for long periods of time and if you want to cook during cold temperatures.

I think there are several key issues to consider before deciding what to buy.

What do you intend to cook? Meats. and veggies.

How long do you intend to cook and at what temps? Higher temps. and some medium temp cooking..

How much do you want to be able to cook? Always cook alot!! Cook for 4 to 10 people.

How transportable of a cooker do you want? I want to be able to move it around as needed and portable and durable enough to be taken to lake, camping, tailgating.

And what fuels do you want to be able to use? Charcoal , sometimes paired with natural woods.

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

Do you want to be able at move the cooker by yourself?
    Michael

Sounds like you should just get another weber kettle. I've always wanted a Konro though just because.

+ Reply to Thread