Sharpening someone else's first knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghideon

Reaction score
Going to buy a friend a Forschner Fibrox as their first 'real' kitchen knife. I expect this knife to be heavily mistreated (it will go through multiple dishwashing cycles, I'm sure).

What kind of primary and relief angles would you put on something like this? My first guess is 20/25.

Thanks

That's the normal range I'd put on these guys. I don't think it's gonna matter much from the sound of it. Make sure you teach them to use a steel.

Doesn't matter. Hit the edge, don't make it steep or it'll be weak. :plus1: on the rod.

There are a load of Victorinox house knives where I work and everyone just sharpens them with one of those pull through things. Everyone seems to think they're great and for knives like that they serve a reasonable job if you consider how blunt they were before. Definitely show the person how to use a steel properly

Good idea on the pull through sharpeners. The one I'm looking at is all of $20. Might be a good investment (at a minimum it'll save me time from sharpening and re-sharpening).

Pull throughs get so much use because they scrape off tons of steel and put a nice honking wire edge on soft steel.

A ceramic honing rod is a better alternative.

Pull throughs get so much use because they scrape off tons of steel and put a nice honking wire edge on soft steel.

A ceramic honing rod is a better alternative.

Yeah a rod is definitely better. For people in work though I have a very hard time convincing them why it's better to spend quite some time with waterstones when they can use the pull through thing for like 5 seconds and to them it is just as sharp :surrendar:

My first guess is 20/25.Thanks

Mine stands up pretty well at 15/20.

Just tell them that it is a kitchen knife. Therefore:
1. No dishwasher.
2. No breaking apart frozen food.
3. No cutting on the countertop.
4. No cutting up cardboard for recylcling.

Back