Abnormal Redwood

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
This is some second growth redwood that just doesn't look normal. Kind of in between burl and flamed.
Part of that is because of cutting it quartersawn. Still the coloring and overall look are different from what you would normally expect to see with redwood. I like it but it is kind of different so I might be the only one.

rw001.jpg

I just got another shipment from being stabilized at K&G. These are the ones I started cleaning up first. Top left piece isn't redwood.

This is one of the woods where the photos don't look so great.
I filmed a short video that I am uploading to youtube and will post it here tomorrow.

is the bottom right with the black spot a void or jsut bruised/spalt or what ever jsut solid wood

The center piece and the middle two on the left are captivating. I love them.

Very dramatic! I'm sure this stuff will appeal to a lot of folks.

is the bottom right with the black spot a void or jsut bruised/spalt or what ever jsut solid wood
That is just a weird dark spalt.

I messed up my video. So instead of redoing it I will price and measure these so you guys can get a couple if you would like before I put them in the webstore. I am re-charging my camera battery so early afternoon.

I got around to using one of the Redwood pieces from Mark today on some of my kitchen knives. Both handles are from the same piece, but have different figure to them! Awesome look to them!!! I gotta get more of these pieces!!

FRB1.jpg

FRB5.jpg

Wow that looks great! I'm so happy I snagged some of that stuff!

Thanks! The stuff I got from Mark is awesome! Both of the handles are from the same block of wood that Mark cut into scales for me, but the gyuto has more of a wavy grain to it and the Nakiri has more of the flame. The stabilized burl woods have grown on me lately. Before, I had seen some stabilized wood that was just so blah, I'd rather have Micarta for a handle. Now that I have seen some of the woods Mark has and how the guys on this forum and others have turned the burls into beautiful handles, I can see why people love the burls!!

Thanks Mark! I was debating getting some new blades, but I decided to redo my two most used kitchen knives instead. The Kikuichi was my first Japanese kitchen knife and started the addiction!

Great looking handles!

Out of curiosity, what size would one get for a a normal 240mm knife to rehandle in both the wa and western style. I see some great looking wood, but don't know if what I am looking at is the right size, either too little or wasteful.

There will be some waste left over. The block I had was a bit over 2" wide, and I got both handles out of it and had like 1.5" left on the bottom that I can use as a bolster for another knife. The western style handles generally use more wood since they have the curve at the end (birds beak) that makes the handle wider and use more material. They also often have a metal bolster, which is usually around 1/2" wide or so. For a Wa type handle, you can use around 1"-1.5" x4.5-5" block. Some people like to make them fatter, longer, etc. Often times, there is a different material used for the front of a Wa handle, so you may have a 1" long front piece and then a 4" long rear piece, but I would guess most people like some sort of mechanical joint between the materials, whether they are pinned together, or more of a male/female style connection rather than just relying on the glue alone, even though the blade tang goes partially through the handle. So a 1.5 x5" square piece, or scales 1.5x5" long, 1/4-3/8" thick are the normal dimensions for most knife handles. You will have to remove material, so it's better to start oversized. I have shorter fingers and a wide hand, hence the thinner and longer Wa style handle on my Nakiri.

Latest posts

Back