Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bed Sheets

Pima cotton is supposed to be softer, Egyptian cotton is supposed to be smoother. Ours are pima, only 275 thread count, but they're 5-10 years old and REALLY soft. (Royal Velvet, before the company went under and sold the name.) I've been tempted to buy some higher thread count egyptian cotton sheets to try, but the sheets we have feel so good that it's hard to spend the money. We bought some Calvin Klein's recently because they were pretty. Don't recommend them--very scratchy.

For flannel, we have both 5 oz and 6 oz Lands' End. On cold nights, they're great--you get in the bed and it's not cold. (Don't know how the new "anti-wrinkle" line is tho).

One thing we have noticed--the more dye (i.e., the more color or pattern) to the sheet, the less soft it seems to be.

We picked up these last March:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Comfortable and holding up really well.
    Tom

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zitangy View Post
    1.)The unit of measurement is thread count per square inch. Some lesser manufacturers will mislead with thread count per 10 square cm

2.Egyptian cotton is suppose to be more long lasting and longer fiber.

3) The Italians finishing is far superior. I find that those made in India is inferior. A US manufacturer Sferra Brothers ( migrant form Italy) is excellent.

4) I have tried the 1,000 thread count and there is no turning back. As we spend 8 hours at least sleeping on it.. I think that it is worth it. THE Sferra Brothers 300 , 406 or 600+ Thread count is very acceptable

5) Bamboo fiber is soft and nice too. However difficult to find plain white sheets .

6) Finally.. my favorite is linen. But it is a chore to maintain and ironing it is troublesome..as it crumples easily. IT is cool to touch even when exposed to halogen lights. It is much appreciated in the tropics. I have draped over my furniture as I like the feel of natural fiber..

rgds
    Very helpful! Like everybody, I usually buy my sheets at TJ Maxx or Ross's and sometimes Macy's. But they usually feel better at first than after many washings. When I was a kid my mother had linen sheets that felt awesome, and I know they are great but like you mentioned I don't want the upkeep. I've searched Frette and Sferra and like some of their stuff. Anyone know or hear of Luxor Linens? Any feedback? Ask the wives lol!
    Jason

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Oh yeah, I've heard that high thread count also means less breathability, so it's especially bad in the summer. True?
    Jason