new knife and edge pro

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishscale

Reaction score
Hi, I just ordered a new konosuke HD 210 petty and edge pro apex5 w/chosera. Up till now I have used globals with a pull through ceramic wheel sharpener. My question is what advice on doing to the new konosuke with the edge pro before bringing the knife to work?

I'd say it depends on what kind of edge you like to use. They come with a nice edge already from what I've seen and I've seen a fair number.

Cool that's good. I'm not sure what edge I "like" I'm used to the global 50/50 but always want to learn pros of other options, I work a 12 hour shift most days and need my edge to last without much attention.

Aside from the 50/50 ratio, how do you sharpen your global?

Aside from the 50/50 ratio, how do you sharpen your global?

I use a minosharp pull through ceramic water sharpener, so a 15*? although I get great results I thought it was time to graduate to a better system.

I used one of those Minosharp wheel sharpeners a long time ago and if I had to guess I'd say it gave me an edge that was about 10% of the knife's potential. The EP should give you an edge that's infinitely better than that

I used one of those Minosharp wheel sharpeners a long time ago and if I had to guess I'd say it gave me an edge that was about 10% of the knife's potential. The EP should give you an edge that's infinitely better than that

That's great, people already scared of my knives sharpness but I knew they had more in them. Any advice on what angle and stone to go at the edge pro with my already sharp globals, and my OOTB konosuke HD?

That's great, people already scared of my knives sharpness but I knew they had more in them. Any advice on what angle and stone to go at the edge pro with my already sharp globals, and my OOTB konosuke HD?

Nothing is written in stone but I'd say the Konosuke should take 10 degrees, the Global you would probably have to go a bit higher. Depends on how you use the knives and all that I guess

I would see How you like the stock edge before you make any changes. My konosuke came with a very nice edge.

I would see How you like the stock edge before you make any changes. My konosuke came with a very nice edge.

I should ask this, can I use the edge pro to keep the stock edge super sharp?

I should ask this, can I use the edge pro to keep the stock edge super sharp?

Stropping is about my only guess. I usually use the stock edge for a while when I buy a knife, others sharpen theirs right away. I wouldn't bother trying to match it, they can be pretty inconsistent, better to put your own edge on it once the OOTB edge need sharpened

Use the magic marker trick to see where the edge is, then decide whether or not you want to keep it there.

Back