Thread: No edge reached - still burr

No edge reached - still burr

Today I've thinned somewhat my Hiromoto AS, or, to be more precise, removed some soft clad from the flat left side blade. I used a medium grade of sandpaper at 1 or 2 degree inclination on a flat hard surface too limit convexing. I didn't reach the very edge and could verify with the scratch pattern. Still, I found a small burr at the opposite side along the whole - core - edge. Does this sounds familiar or does anyone could explain?

It means you were hitting the edge son, at least thats the only sane explanation I can think of.

Maybe sanding magnetised the blade and the 'burr' was the metal filings clinging to it? All I can think if you didn't hit the edge

A little concave in the grind?

I've had this happen, but only when I was really tired. So either it's a mistake gone awry, or it's a rare hallucination.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    I've had this happen, but only when I was really tired. So either it's a mistake gone awry, or it's a rare hallucination.
    Thank you, Eamon, I will try to reproduce under controlled conditions.

Yeah I don't know what it really is. But twice in the past year, I've been sharpening a knife(both times when I was setting a new bevel), and been like "ok there's the burr....but, wait, it's over here too...."