Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a new gyuto with flat profile or a suji instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    The new HD looks like it has a longer flat spot at the heel, but it doesn't seem to have a flat profile per se. Fowler knives, Takeda kiritsuke gyuto are probably good representative of flat profile knives.

I moved away from a flat profile, as I found it not very useful for an all-around knife, as you have to make an adjustment to your cutting technique.

So, why a flat profile? Look or something else?

A flat profile on a nakiri, usuba, or kiritsuke makes sense, on a gyuto (Sabs might be one exception) or suji, not much. Just my 2c.

M
    For me I find myself using the back half of the blade for over half the time, and on my 270 kono I find its too small. I dontneed a completely flat blade but would like one with a larger flat area since that is what is useful to me and my cutting style.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    A possible, lesser known contender? White steel, Looks pretty flat to me. 42mm at spine, like a gyuto-suji hybrid. Finish is "rustic" apparently. Azuma Minamoto at Aframestokyo.
    New member here just ordered this knife and hopes to take delivery this week. Hopefully he will post a review.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post65893

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    For me I find myself using the back half of the blade for over half the time, and on my 270 kono I find its too small. I dontneed a completely flat blade but would like one with a larger flat area since that is what is useful to me and my cutting style.
    Makes sense. A knife with a flat spot about 1/2 of the length of the edge (5.25" on 270mm) would still give you a decent curve toward the tip.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I have a 270 Konosuke HD which works great however I would like a knife with a flatter profile. I would still like it to be a laser, I prefer wa-handles, and would like this to be a pure carbon knife.

Any recommendations on a gyuto like this, or maybe i should just go for a suji instead? This would be used for general light prep and slicing lots of maki.
    I like a flat blade for julienning vegetables. This kiritsuke is particularly enjoyable to use:

If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.