Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a new gyuto with flat profile or a suji instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    The new HD looks like it has a longer flat spot at the heel, but it doesn't seem to have a flat profile per se. Fowler knives, Takeda kiritsuke gyuto are probably good representative of flat profile knives.

I moved away from a flat profile, as I found it not very useful for an all-around knife, as you have to make an adjustment to your cutting technique.

So, why a flat profile? Look or something else?

A flat profile on a nakiri, usuba, or kiritsuke makes sense, on a gyuto (Sabs might be one exception) or suji, not much. Just my 2c.

M
    For me I find myself using the back half of the blade for over half the time, and on my 270 kono I find its too small. I dontneed a completely flat blade but would like one with a larger flat area since that is what is useful to me and my cutting style.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    A possible, lesser known contender? White steel, Looks pretty flat to me. 42mm at spine, like a gyuto-suji hybrid. Finish is "rustic" apparently. Azuma Minamoto at Aframestokyo.
    New member here just ordered this knife and hopes to take delivery this week. Hopefully he will post a review.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...ll=1#post65893

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    For me I find myself using the back half of the blade for over half the time, and on my 270 kono I find its too small. I dontneed a completely flat blade but would like one with a larger flat area since that is what is useful to me and my cutting style.
    Makes sense. A knife with a flat spot about 1/2 of the length of the edge (5.25" on 270mm) would still give you a decent curve toward the tip.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    I have a 270 Konosuke HD which works great however I would like a knife with a flatter profile. I would still like it to be a laser, I prefer wa-handles, and would like this to be a pure carbon knife.

Any recommendations on a gyuto like this, or maybe i should just go for a suji instead? This would be used for general light prep and slicing lots of maki.
    I like a flat blade for julienning vegetables. This kiritsuke is particularly enjoyable to use:

If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.