Looking for a new gyuto with flat profile or a suji instead?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slowtyper

Reaction score
I have a 270 Konosuke HD which works great however I would like a knife with a flatter profile. I would still like it to be a laser, I prefer wa-handles, and would like this to be a pure carbon knife.

Any recommendations on a gyuto like this, or maybe i should just go for a suji instead? This would be used for general light prep and slicing lots of maki.

Did you see the new Kono HD @ C K T G with the edge that has a larger flat profile?

Maybe check out Stephan Fowler knives. Flat profiles, Wa handles and all in mono carbon. Result!

Did you see the new Kono HD @ C K T G with the edge that has a larger flat profile?

I did not but I see its very nice. Killer price too with that handle....wish I got that instead of the original one I got, but thats life. I wouldn't get that though because I still would like to try something different.

Takeda with a special order profile?

IMG_0859.jpg

The new HD looks like it has a longer flat spot at the heel, but it doesn't seem to have a flat profile per se. Fowler knives, Takeda kiritsuke gyuto are probably good representative of flat profile knives.

I moved away from a flat profile, as I found it not very useful for an all-around knife, as you have to make an adjustment to your cutting technique.

So, why a flat profile? Look or something else?

A flat profile on a nakiri, usuba, or kiritsuke makes sense, on a gyuto (Sabs might be one exception) or suji, not much. Just my 2c.

M

I moved away from a flat profile, as I found it not very useful for an all-around knife, as you have to make an adjustment to your cutting technique.

Interesting ... I find a flat profile a lot more versatile than a knife with more belly.

Depends what you mean by belly.

Flat spots (at the heel) on most gyutos are around 1/4-1/3 of the length of the blade (latter would be my preference). Extending that flat spot would "flatten" the profile. On Takeda in the pic above, the flat spot is around 3/4 of the length of the blade.

It also depends how you cut. A good number of people cut with front 1/3 of the blade most of the time (me included). I rarely use a heel of a knife.
M

It also depends how you cut. A good number of people cut with front 1/3 of the blade most of the time (me included). I rarely use a heel of a knife.
M
Really? I use the area (from middle of the blade and towards the heel) at least as much if not more. Different styles I guess ...

I like flat profiles too. Both my 270 and 300 Konosuke sujis have a ton of flat space on them and I love them for that. If you don't have a suji yet, might be right up your alley. But if you looking to switch it up and try something new, you might like a Takeda--either the flat gyuto that Rick posted or a kiritsuke gyuto.

245c4m8.jpg

So what do you guys like about a flat profile and how do you use your knife primarily?

M

Personally I like a knife with a big sweet spot just back from the tip and the rest of the profile isn't important. I don't really care if the profile is flat to be honest, if you are doing the thrust cutting style, surely you are moving the knife back and forth anyway so it doesn't really matter if the blade is flat? If I am doing chopping I use the area just back from the tip, I rarely use the heel area. I probably prefer the rounder profiled knives because I feel they are a little more versatile to be honest. Just my opinion

The Kramer Zwilling has a nice thin and flat edge, before the sweep up to the tip. It is the most versatile knife, that I've used. The back end is a similar to a nakiri. The bull tip nose has been surprisingly useful in slicing onions and tomatoes.

A relatively flat edge is better suited to a nakiri or cleaver. A flat edge with no curve, can be a jarring experience. On a gyuto a flat edge, puts the hand in awkward position. Kramer compensates with a large heel and a angled handle.

Most gyutos with the heel up, the mid section of the knife is flat against the board. The angle of edge, going to the tip, plays a role in how comfortable or natural a gyuto feels in hand.

Back when the ITK gyutos were being designed, Devin posted, that the profile was going to be based on the Suisin/Tadatsuna gyutos. I recently picked up a Tadatsuna 300mm gyuto. A few years ago Tadatsuna was the it knife on the forums and then nose dived its way out of fashion. I've been curious about the knife, so when one came up at a great price, it was time. The biggest surprise about the Tad, has been how natural it feels in hand, especially for such a big ass knife. Mr. Chance has mentioned how his ITK feels very natural in hand.

Jay

Personally I like a knife with a big sweet spot just back from the tip and the rest of the profile isn't important. I don't really care if the profile is flat to be honest

+1

A nice flat area at the heel is good, but an entire flat area really downgrades the knifes versatility.

I have been testing a Fowler 240mm gyuto that is nearly entirely flat. Although I like the knife, every time I do any tip work, I realize I have to keep the entire blade flat on the board; if you raise the blade, you will make almost zero contact at the tip... useless. Might as well be a giant cleaver.

I would think that apart from the flatter profile, you want to pick a gyuto with a low rather than tall blade if you're going to use it for suji jobs. As I said in a separate thread about "go to knives", the Ichimonji TKC 270 gyuto has a great profile in this regard.

A few years ago Tadatsuna was the it knife on the forums and then nose dived its way out of fashion.
Times were simpler back then ... if you wanted thin stainless, you got to choose between Suisin or IT. That was it. (I chose Suisin - didn't like the IT's muddled etching).

If I'm cutting with a gyuto, I tend to use the back half of the knife almost exclusively. It's is why I prefer flatter profiles, nakiri and chuka. Having a "typical" gyuto curvature to the tip does make tip work nicer though, I have to say.

The new HD looks like it has a longer flat spot at the heel, but it doesn't seem to have a flat profile per se. Fowler knives, Takeda kiritsuke gyuto are probably good representative of flat profile knives.

So, why a flat profile? Look or something else?

A flat profile on a nakiri, usuba, or kiritsuke makes sense, on a gyuto (Sabs might be one exception) or suji, not much. Just my 2c.

M

For me I find myself using the back half of the blade for over half the time, and on my 270 kono I find its too small. I dontneed a completely flat blade but would like one with a larger flat area since that is what is useful to me and my cutting style.

For me I find myself using the back half of the blade for over half the time, and on my 270 kono I find its too small. I dontneed a completely flat blade but would like one with a larger flat area since that is what is useful to me and my cutting style.

Makes sense. A knife with a flat spot about 1/2 of the length of the edge (5.25" on 270mm) would still give you a decent curve toward the tip.

M

I have a 270 Konosuke HD which works great however I would like a knife with a flatter profile. I would still like it to be a laser, I prefer wa-handles, and would like this to be a pure carbon knife.

Any recommendations on a gyuto like this, or maybe i should just go for a suji instead? This would be used for general light prep and slicing lots of maki.

I like a flat blade for julienning vegetables. This kiritsuke is particularly enjoyable to use:

happyIchimonji.jpg

Latest posts

Back