Quantcast
Flat profiled gyutos
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flat profiled gyutos

Flat profiled gyutos

Do you understand that even a super flat profiled gyuto should not actually be dead flat?

If a gyuto has a true flat spot anywhere along it's edge length it sucks and nothing is worse than the dead ass clunker - the gyuto with a perfectly flat section at the heel that upon making contact with the cutting board sends a shock wave up your arm that wants to blow your elbow out.

Seems like this bit of knowledge has been overlooked a lot lately. I see so much talk of flat profiles that it's influencing how knives are made and maintained.

So my message here is it's cool to be flat(ish) but not actually flat.

Just my

Thank you!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Agreed 100% Dave. The idea of having a flat profile seems to be very popular but I've always thought it was kinda irrelevant. My Hattori is my favourite knife and it haa a curve the whole way along its length

Quote Originally Posted by stevenStefano View Post
    The idea of having a flat profile seems to be very popular but I've always thought it was kinda irrelevant.
    ^ this

I think flat (e.g. Masamoto KS, Carter funayuki) is just in vogue at the moment, in the same way that thin was in vogue a few years back.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    ^ this

I think flat (e.g. Masamoto KS, Carter funayuki) is just in vogue at the moment, in the same way that thin was in vogue a few years back.
    Then I'm in vouge: Flat santoku, flat Carter funa, flat cleaver. Hope knifes with a huge belly don't come in vouge soon - that would break my budget T, you just sold a Takeda with a huge belly - going flat now?

I have been known to use a chukabocho.

But mostly I find myself reaching for a not-particularly flat gyuto.

Are there gyutos sold with large dead flat spots ? Haven't noticed them and I'm sure those looking for flatter gyutos all understand they aren't dead flat or they'd just buy nikiris or something

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    I have been known to use a chukabocho.

But mostly I find myself reaching for a not-particularly flat gyuto.

I like mine curvier than average anyway, but good to point that out again.

Stefan