First two Japanese knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmforge

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I got my first two Japanese kitchen knives in the mail today, a JCK Carbonext 240 western gyuto and a 270 Hattori FH suji and all I can say is DAYUM, these blades are thin!!!:eek2: I am REALLY going to need a rolling mill and a surface grinder for making damascus blades of this type!!:lol2: I am surprised at how small the handle is on the Hattori.

Pictures dude...where the hell are the pics??

CN is a beast once a great edge is put on it. What wood handle did you get on your suji?

Congrats man! Wait, I just realized...you've been on the forum for half a year and have almost 700 posts....yet these are your first j-knives? What took so long?:razz:

LOL. I wasn't careful when ordering and ended up getting the Micarta version. I bought it primarily for the handle shape. My current inclination is to riff off of the curvaceous shape of the Hattori, but in a size closer to the handle on the CN. I have normal sized palms and little fingers, so no ham hands syndrome, but the handle on the FH seems a bit dainty for a knife that long. I handled a couple of Zwilling Kramer and those were some pretty burly handles. I need to get my mitts on some more western handled J knives and "coon finger" some customs, as Jerry Fisk is fond of saying, so that I can figure out exactly where that "Goldilocks zone" is for these things.:D
These are the first knives of any type that I have bought for myself in ages. All of my "knife money" over the last 6 months has gone to grinding belts, propane, new tools, steel and other supplies. :D
Pictures dude...where the hell are the pics??

CN is a beast once a great edge is put on it. What wood handle did you get on your suji?

Congrats man! Wait, I just realized...you've been on the forum for half a year and have almost 700 posts....yet these are your first j-knives? What took so long?:razz:

I didn't really pay that much attention to the envelope while I was ripping it open, but when i got ready to take the garbage out, I noticed that these knives appear to have been sent to me directly from Japan. Aside from them geting here very quickly, I was surprised that you can get a knife like that Carbonext shipped from the Old Country for that price. Obviously, the finish, etc, is a bit better on the Hattori suji, but overall, I may actually like the Carbonext gyuto a little better. After years of seeing Zwillings, etc at that same price point,I am really impressed with what these guys are able to give you for the money. If asked, i would tell anyone to buy some of these knives instead of the standard fare from Williams-Sonoma et al.

Back